ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

how to kill / restart Google Chrome?

<< < (2/3) > >>

bgd77:
Or the parent process is saying to the child processes: "I made you, I kill you".

Anyhow, the "Kill the Process Tree" option would be an alternative if this would not work.

f0dder:
Or the parent process is saying to the child processes: "I made you, I kill you".-bgd77 (October 09, 2009, 02:18 AM)
--- End quote ---
Doesn't get a chance to do that if you kill it from taskmgr/procexp, since it gets forcefully shut down with TerminateProcess() :)

bgd77:
Ok, I'm no expert in this, so your explanation is the right one. Does this mean that the child processes are created in a special way? Or maybe the child processes know who their parent is and constantly interrogate it in order to see if it is still working?

Returning to the original question, maybe brotherS could tell us if he has found what he is looking for in the posts above. :)

brotherS:
Thanks guys! I used the Process Explorer ages ago, sounds like that could work.

Before I test it (and lose some or all of my opened tabs - I'm using Chrome's "open all last opened pages again on program start" feature), would anyone be so kind and test it for me?  :)

Paul Keith:
@brotherS,

Well, I'm not knowledgeable with any kind of testing but you could just use Iron Portable or Chromium Portable and you should be able to have a replica Google Chrome without it touching your actual Google Chrome files.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version