ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Volery Makes Installing Software Incredibly Simple

<< < (2/3) > >>

Dormouse:
WinRAR is neither open source nor free

Shades:
Since there is 7-zip why even include WinRAR? 7-zip can extract rar archives is 95% of the time more effective when (re-)archiving in its native format.

Case in point, I have here a Oracle database dump with a size of 90Gbyte. When archived with 7-zip the result is a file of 1,8 GByte. Using that same dump with WinRAR results in a file of 5,6 GByte. Both use their ultra mode for creating the archive.

I like WinRAR, but you will not see me getting a new license for their latest version. The file manager from 7-zip is quite limited especially when compared with the one from WinRAR but that part of both applications is hardly used by me anyway.

OK, back to the point. As it looks like, the items in the screenshot show that most of them are paired up (utorrent and emule, VLC and KMPlayer etc.) The WinRAR slot could be filled with a more useful piece of similar software like PeaZip [sourceforge], another service for on-line backup or even better...off-line backup like Yadis! [codessentials]

app103:
Being that this is a business venture, it is likely that in time they will include even more payware options, if they can make some sort of deal with the company to make commissions on any new customers they pick up from an install. It's possible that WinRAR is their first customer.

40hz:
I use "custom" installations for everything - 99% of the time to avoid unintentionally installing Yahoo toolbar or the like.
-Darwin (October 11, 2009, 09:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

Out of curiosity, does Volery not have (or at least give you the chance to opt-out of ) any of the usual toolbar "includes" - or will they just get installed automatically along with the main programs? If they get included automatically, that alone would be an absolute showstopper issue for me.

Unfortunately, slip-installing such add-ons would be a very easy way for them to 'monetize' their service. Especially if they decided to start building them into Volery itself rather than just using the includes that normally tag along with a specific app.

So...anybody try it yet? :huh:

tomos:
Out of curiosity, does Volery not have (or at least give you the chance to opt-out of ) any of the usual toolbar "includes" - or will they just get installed automatically along with the main programs?
-40hz (October 11, 2009, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---
The service installs the software with default settings and says “no” to any extra crapware (like browser toolbars) the installers might try to sneak in.
--- End quote ---
-app103 (October 06, 2009, 02:37 PM)
--- End quote ---
:P :D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version