ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (14/16) > >>

f0dder:
You can use all stupid archivers for lossless audio compression. We don´t need hundrets of redundant lossless formats.-Crush (January 12, 2010, 07:36 AM)
--- End quote ---
Archivers? Generic compression tools don't tend to work very well with audio data compared to a specialized codec... besides, not all media players are going to support, say, playback of .wav from a .rar file :)

I agree that we don't need Yet Another FormatTM, though, if it doesn't bring anything really valuable into the mix... and imho MP3HD doesn't. In fact, because of the way it works, I even think it's a downright bad idea :)

Crush:
Try 7zip or rar. The main difference of the lossless compressors is sometimes a small function before compression similar to this one:
for (t_audiosize x=0; x<wavlen-1; x++) { wav[x] = wav[x+1]-wav[x]; if (wav[x]<0) wav[x]=0-wav[x]; }
... That´s all

Lashiec:
Yes, yes, I had that crazy idea years ago, when I found I could save a few megabytes by ZIP compressing my MP3s, since both foobar2000 and XMPlay can play compressed files with ease. Then I realized I could not edit any MP3 directly from fb2k if I did that...

The WAV format doesn't have a metadata system, and a PMP doesn't handle 7ZIP or RAR compressed WAV files too well. Heck, my own computer takes several seconds just to process a single compressed audio file (a fairly big one, though). The fact that general compression algorithms are pretty efficient compared to FLAC doesn't make them a suitable option for audio compression.

xtabber:
ut actually I was favorably surprised by another point, the mp3 encoder.  I used to rely on EasyCDDA, encoding my CD @ 192 kbps ABR.  With Jetaudio Plus I chose 192 kbps VBR and I was astonished by the difference (on the same Sony Walkman, a NWZ-S738F).  The music seems "clearer", "richer" than with EasyCDDA with a similar compression level.
-MerleOne (January 12, 2010, 04:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hm, couldn't find mention of which MP3 encoding engine EasyCDDA uses; the closest "official" info I found in any obvious place was a link to mp3dev.org, which seems to be an old site for LAME? - some review does say it uses LAME, though. And afaik, LAME is pretty much the highest-quality encoder on the market?

JetAudio doesn't mention it's codec either, but a 2007 thread on their forum implies Fraunhofer... I hope that they've either changed codec since, or that Fraunhofer has improved their codec, since it used to have worse quality (except for very low bitrates, but who use 96kbps for their audio? :))

-f0dder (January 12, 2010, 06:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Easy-CDDA uses LAME. Don't know about JetAudio, but since the free version does not include MP3 encoding, they probably pay for their MP3 codecs, and since they bundle MP3 and MP3pro together, I'd guess they license them from Thomson.

Setting VBR rates is a lot more complicated than just picking a bitrate. You need to set maximum and minimum filters and various options. LAME provides a number of optimized presets which you can use as is or tweak yourself. These are available only in the registered version of Easy-CDDA, IIRC. ABR is VBR with averaging between frames to achieve a consistent file size, so the final quality may depend on how much compression is actually needed for a given source.

Here's a reasonably comprehensible description of VBR vs ABR: http://wiki.hydrogenaudio.org/index.php?title=ABR

tomos:
So,
can anyone recommend the least damaging way to rip CD's to mp3 (with preferably a reasonably priced or free app) ??  ...seeing as it looks like the MP3HD sounds (har har :p) like a bit of a dead dog

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version