ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (11/16) > >>

Curt:
yeah, I know, I didn't say it right. The idea of explaining it in English, was a bit overwhelming at the time. Sorry.

When I was younger there was no Internet. If I wanted to hear a new CD, I would go into a shop in an actual building and put on a giant pair of headphones, or take a seat in their "listening room", and listen to that music in high fidelity sound. At high volumes! Today I will have to go to a page on the Internet and listen to some tiny 22 kbps LOW fidelity sound stream. The same goes for the replacement of the BIG stereo gear in my living-room; the two four feet cabinets on the floor have been replaced by a couple of tiny speakers next to my monitor on the table. Quality has been sacrificed for comfort. No progress, in real life.

tsaint:
If I wanted to hear a new CD, I would go into a shop in an actual building and put on a giant pair of headphones, or take a seat in their "listening room", and listen to that music in high fidelity sound. At high volumes!
--- End quote ---

That reminded me of the distinctly unpleasant experiences of going to preview a cd, like you, but so very often, some heavy-techno-metallic-crap would be blaring from speakers in the store so the sound permeated the earphones. So trying to listen to sensitive, subtle piano solos would be hideously interfered with by "musicians" substituting enthusiastic frenzy for skill. I am GLAD those days are past and my music can be a private affair. I'll settle for being able to hear a low quality sample with no background noise.

On another note, one of the positives of my descent into old age is that I have no need to pay a premium to buy frequencies I can't hear anymore. Nature has now blessed me with mp3 ears.

(Profuse apologies to all the techno-metallic-??? fans I've offended.  ;D)

Darwin:
On another note, one of the positives of my descent into old age is that I have no need to pay a premium to buy frequencies I can't hear anymore. Nature has now blessed me with mp3 ears.
-tsaint (November 14, 2009, 07:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

;D That really resonates with me, as well. I like that, mp3 ears  8)

Stoic Joker:
--- End quote ---

-Darwin (November 14, 2009, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Save me a seat on that bus also ... 30 years if open piped Harleys has had an impact on my hearing.

I am wondering if the Loudness War fiasco that Innuendo mentioned is why many tracks sound like the vocals are/have been washed out (barely audible) to me.

Carol Haynes:
--- End quote ---

-Darwin (November 14, 2009, 09:09 AM)
--- End quote ---
Save me a seat on that bus also ... 30 years if open piped Harleys has had an impact on my hearing.

I am wondering if the Loudness War fiasco that Innuendo mentioned is why many tracks sound like the vocals are/have been washed out (barely audible) to me.
-Stoic Joker (November 14, 2009, 10:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Ditto - my problem is I like to know the frequencies are there even if I can't hear them.

Seriously though I still buy CDs mostly. I hate paying the same price for audio downloads (or even more quite often) when I can have a shiny disk plus a booklet full of pictures and text, or in the case of classical music background info on the artists, performance and historical notes.

Maybe I am old fashioned but I do like to have the physical product. When I do download stuff more often than not I burn a CD anyway to listen on a HiFi system or in the car.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version