ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

At last: MP3 Lossless!!!

<< < (6/16) > >>

f0dder:
Am I the only one who thinks MP3 should've died a slow death by now?-scancode (November 07, 2009, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---
It's still an OK format when you can accept quality loss...

Innuendo:
Am I the only one who thinks MP3 should've died a slow death by now?-scancode (November 07, 2009, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

The sound quality is fine, but the way the tagging standard for the MP3 format stands today it's as if it were strategized by a drunken monkey.

tomos:
Am I the only one who thinks MP3 should've died a slow death by now?
-scancode (November 07, 2009, 11:56 AM)
--- End quote ---

as someone who hasnt a clue I ask:
are there alternatives that dont involve huge filesizes - or should we just get used to large filesizes ?
(I know, there's loads of space on current hard-drives...)

Lashiec:
as someone who hasnt a clue I ask:
are there alternatives that dont involve huge filesizes - or should we just get used to large filesizes ?
(I know, there's loads of space on current hard-drives...)
-tomos (November 07, 2009, 02:42 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sure, there is Vorbis and AAC (short for Advanced Audio Coding) if you like lossy codecs. Both have open implementations for encoding and decoding, and are well supported. Plus they're not involved in the patent hell that the algorithms used in MP3 are, so you can use them freely without any of the concerns, especially Vorbis, which was an open format from the start.

In any case, MP3 is still a very viable option, even more if you use a good encoder like LAME, which has continued to improve its encoding quality over the last years.

Curt:
I made the GUI that you download for windows  :)
-defiant91 (November 07, 2009, 11:51 AM)
--- End quote ---

- welcome to DC, defiant91  :up:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version