ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Play Media Files on my Network House-wide?

<< < (2/4) > >>

y0himba:
Windows 7 will allow you to do that.  You can even share over the Internet with other Windows 7 devices.  I currently share music, music videos, and movies to my PS3 and the 3 other computers here, and my laptop on the road with Windows 7.

J-Mac:
@Grorgy: Yeah, doesn't sound very user-friendly. Thanks for the tip.  :)

@yOhimba:  Maybe I am not seeing what you mean...  How does Windows 7 allow me to receive media files from my network around the house? I am looking for ways to receive and play the media files; I can already serve them.

Thank you.

Jim

Innuendo:
One problem is that it is DLNA, not DNLA. That helped a little. Not much, though.-J-Mac (October 02, 2009, 01:08 PM)
--- End quote ---

Oh crap...dyslexia. Sorry about that. :(

This article looks like a good start to choosing a DLNA media server:

http://www.rbgrn.net/content/21-how-to-choose-dlna-media-server-windows-mac-os-x-or-linux

This "best practices" article looks like it may also be worth a read:

http://www.twonkyforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=6124

Twonky is an awesome media server that gets good reviews. You could do worse than using that to serve your media if you don't go for a media server appliance.

y0himba:
Just share the folders your media files are in, on the network.  The other machines can mount them as a drive and easily access the files, and even copy/paste them to their hard drives...

Innuendo:
Just share the folders your media files are in, on the network.  The other machines can mount them as a drive and easily access the files, and even copy/paste them to their hard drives...-y0himba (October 03, 2009, 08:34 AM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think that's what he wants to do. The way I read his original post he is looking to stream his media to non-computer devices so standard file-sharing won't work.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version