ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows vs. Mac: I'm starting to change.

<< < (26/48) > >>

f0dder:
You know what would be a cool idea?  I large pad on your desk to replace a mouse if you wanted.  You use your fingers to move around and do stuff with multi-touch commands and so forth.-superboyac
--- End quote ---
Cute idea, but touch is still less precise than a mouse - it'd probably work fine for daily use, but if you need any kind of precision work (graphics, whatever) I doubt it's going to play out that well.

The price for a Mac on the lower end is more expensive, but as you scale up, the price isn't that much different, I've found.-wraith808
--- End quote ---
Wasn't like that last time I looked - sure, if you need the exact same kind of connections and features, you might be right... but for "standard" needs, every time I've looked I was able to get substantially faster hardware for the same price tag, or comparable hardware for a substantially lower price.

pc's can't do it like a mac can-cmpm
--- End quote ---
(windows) PCs can't do what like a (pc) mac can? If it wasn't for Apple's monopolistc artificial restriction crap, I could take a snow leopard DVD and install it right on my current standard Windows box - or in a virtual machine. Funnily enough there's no problems installing Windows on Apple hardware, only the other way around. (But hey, hack up the install OS X DVD and you'll be able to run it on a lot of standard machines).

cmpm:
It's Apple's fault that MS and it's mob won't make Windows capable of handling OSX?

I'm quite sure ms could do it. But they will not.
That would change the market for MS.
I'm pretty sure if Windows could run Apple's OS,
there would be a change in what's on the shelf in the OS aisle.

Josh:
It's Apple's fault that MS and it's mob won't make Windows capable of handling OSX?

I'm quite sure ms could do it. But they will not.
That would change the market for MS.
I'm pretty sure if Windows could run Apple's OS,
there would be a change in what's on the shelf in the OS aisle.
-cmpm (October 14, 2009, 06:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Windows handling OSX? OSX is an Operating System, Windows is an Operating System. It's not a matter of one "handling" the other. MAC is a hardware platform (Exactly the same as a "PC") that people buy and then consequently install windows on because OSX cannot run the programs they need. It's not a matter of WINDOWS running MAC's OS, It's a matter of MAC opening up OSX so that it could be run on a "PC" without HACKING it.

wraith808:

Neither the 9400M or the 9600M GT on the MacBook Pro are anywhere *near* "top end". The dell has a ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4670 which should be fairly decent - comparable at the least.

<snip />

ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD4650 graphics card with 1GB vRAM-great for games and movies

-JavaJones (October 14, 2009, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---
The 4670 is pretty comparable... until you look at the pixel pipelines.  the 9600 can pump more graphics through easily, despite being an earlier video card... and the macbook that I was looking at had a 7200 RPM hard drive... another significant upgrade.  Add to that the fact that you can switch graphics cards to increase battery life- I have that on my VAIO, and that was a pretty decent upgrade also...

cmpm:
Whatever....

The windows machine will not be built to handle the OSX format.
Their 90% would change. They are not that stupid.

Apple made a marketing move to use intel and bootcamp.

It's about their money, both of them, not what we, the computer users would like.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version