ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (28/28)

IainB:
I would recommend that you trial the ß MSE (suck-it-and-see). I haven't had any issues with it so far. It had a minor bug that I reported to MS (that's what ßs are for though).

Darwin:
I've been running the beta for over a week and haven't had a problem yet. Pretty happy with it - my CPU and harddrive don't get thrashed nearly as often as they were with VIPRE installed. Additionally, I'm running this out of the box - no exceptions or exclusions set up, and all is well. I ran VIPRE "tweaked" and it was still stumbling. I'm sure GFI will sort things out with VIPRE, but I'm content with MSE 2 for now.

Bamse:
Don't have it installed now so can't say if beta will upgrade by itself or need help - but final is out today https://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=e1605e70-9649-4a87-8532-33d813687a7f&pf=true

Darwin:
I can't tell if the beta is upgraded or not, but I just ran "update" and it downloaded and installed something largish... "About" doesn't indicate whether it is a beta or not.

At any rate, it's been rock solid since I installed it a few weeks ago  :Thmbsup:

IainB:
After running the MSE ß, I downloaded and installed the latest version ("About" now reads):
 - Security Essentials Version: 2.0.657.0
 - Antimalware Client Version: 3.0.8107.0
 - Engine Version: 1.1.6402.0
 - Antivirus definition: 1.95.2722.0
 - Antispyware definition: 1.95.2722.0

On 2010-12-29, I read A Typical Freelance Job and as a result I downloaded, installed and ran the free version of Malwarebytes, which found these registry entries (no actual viruses or Trojans) - this is from the log:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Ext\Stats\{1D4DB7D2-6EC9-47A3-BD87-1E41684E07BB} (Adware.MyWebSearch) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell\(default) (Hijack.Drives) -> Bad: (open) Good: (none) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced\StartMenuLogoff (PUM.Hijack.StartMenu) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version