ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (24/28) > >>

cyberdiva:
Does MSE allow me to NOT schedule scans and instead scan manually periodically?
-J-Mac (November 25, 2010, 01:09 PM)
--- End quote ---
I've got MSE on my Win7 Toshiba netbook, and I've been pleased with it.  Since I rarely have any malware on my computer, I can't say much about MSE's ability to detect bad stuff.  However, I can tell you that MSE does allow you to not schedule scans and instead manually scan when you want to.  That's what I do on the netbook.

J-Mac:
Thank you! That is important to me as I have three internal drives - 1-80GB and 2-500 GB - plus two external drives - 1-1TB and 1-340GB - so a full scan is literally days! However since I started clean and have had NOD32 actively scanning ever since the box is clean.

Well, what I probably will do is replace NOD32 with Microsoft Security Essentials on one machine and see how it works out. If it does well then I will load it on the others as the Eset licenses expire. Five licenses gets kinda pricey!

Thanks!

Jim

steeladept:
I went through the same issues early this past summer.  I ended up going back to Eset mostly because I use the entire security suite and I don't trust the windows firewall (I know I could get my own elsewhere for free, but it is much easier this way).  If I were going JUST the AV, I would have probably went with MSE.  It was mostly the firewall and other suite features that swayed me back to buy another year of Eset's service.  Of course I am on WinXP still.  If I were on Win7 or even Vista things might have been different....

J-Mac:
Thanks Steel. Yes, just the AV for me. I don’t have any problem using the Windows Firewall, plus I am behind a router with SPI so I'm OK there. I really have to at least give it a try, but I did want to see if any actual users of MSE here had any hard issues with it. Sounds like it might work out for me.

Thanks again!

Jim

Armando:
When my NOD32 license finished, I didn't renew it and went for MSE. It found 1 "threat" NOD never found... :) That said, I didn't really inquire to find out if the catch was relevant or not...

It's a bit slower than NOD32 when scanning, and the CPU goes wild once in a rare while (when syncing my Outlook calendar with Google). All in all, I find that it works well and I'm very very satisfied. No system instability and weird stuff.

(As for the firewall, I'm now using Comodo -- was with Online Armour and had to drop it only a few weeks or a couple months after renewing my license : was experiencing freezes etc. All that went away with Comodo. When I'm working in a Café with my laptop, I feel more secure using a good firewall...)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version