ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (23/28) > >>

Darwin:
Yeah... I got that memo from them. I'm hoping that they continue to support and actively develop VIPRE and their other security products and DON'T let it rest on its laurels (I'm thinking about the fate of Norton products when Symantec took them over, though from what I've read/seen they've been steadily improving for the last few years).

lanux128:
(I'm thinking about the fate of Norton products when Symantec took them over, though from what I've read/seen they've been steadily improving for the last few years). -Darwin (September 29, 2010, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

i'm not a big fan of Symantec but lately i've been using machines with Enterprise Edition and find them a bit more appeasing to the system's resource.

Darwin:
(I'm thinking about the fate of Norton products when Symantec took them over, though from what I've read/seen they've been steadily improving for the last few years). -Darwin (September 29, 2010, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

i'm not a big fan of Symantec but lately i've been using machines with Enterprise Edition and find them a bit more appeasing to the system's resource.
-lanux128 (September 29, 2010, 09:41 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh, heh - good to hear! It will take an awful lot for me to forget the bloat and resource hogging circa 2005 or so, though... I have high hopes for MSE - hopefully they'll keep it lean, mean, and free... MOST importantly LEAN.

Darwin:
As noted in the Kaspersky thread, my CPU/resource issues with Sunbelt VIPRE have been solved and I have been able to re-enable Active Protection's "scan files and folders as they are opened" feature. Apparently, the issue originated on some machines with a recent defintiions update that has since been corrected.

J-Mac:
This thread isn't that old so I hope no one minds me resurrecting it now.  :-[

A couple of my Eset NOD32 AV licenses are coming due shortly (though I also have a few more that have anywhere from 3-4 months to more than a year left on them) and I am looking real hard at Microsoft Security Essentials. Eset has done well for me over the last five or six years but it ain't cheap! Don’t get me wrong: it does a great job and that certainly is more important than cost IMO. Yet if others are doing just as well at considerably lower cost then it would be wise for me to at least take a good hard look at them. Plus Eset is still in the dark ages in a lot of commercial aspects. E.g., though I have five active licenses with Eset - all for NOD32 AV - I still am required to monitor the expiration dates and renew the licenses for all of them separately. I ask every year if they have altered their policies and allow customers to consolidate their licenses so that I would only need to keep an eye on one license expiration/renewal date, but no such nicety appears to even be in their sights. So I must keep monitoring the five expirations and renewals individually. Oh, and they don’t notify you when expiration is approaching. I had a long conversation with Eset support the first time that happened a few years ago and was told that it is up to the user to remember the expiration dates. The tech agreed that this wasn't an optimum situation but he had no control over such things of course. Now they have the tray icon turn yellow when you are within a couple days of expiration, but it only stays yellow for that one session; reboot and it is green again. Plus they simply will not combine licenses and allow multiple licenses to be handled in one account - unless you purchase them that way up front. Of course I added individual licenses as needed so they weren't purchased together.

Anyway, enough on Eset. I would love to use MSE but only if it is truly worthwhile. I have read many reviews and it appears that Microsoft has made MSE into a worthy security program. Earlier reviews though cautioned that users do not have a lot of detailed control over the settings, and that would be a very big potential deal killer for me. I have Eset never clean any file on my computer until after I have reviewed it - they have too significant a history of false positives for me to ever allow NOD32 to delete files as it sees fit. But I read earlier that MSE was similar in that respect. Has this changed with later releases? Is anyone here who is using MSE knowledgeable regarding the "configurability" of MSE's settings? Also, I don’t have Eset scan on a schedule currently; instead I perform a full scan every three months and start it only when I know I can leave the computer alone for at least two days. Yes, two whole days to scan my rig here! Since I have the box actively scanned 24/7, I don’t feel the need to run full scans very often. Does MSE allow me to NOT schedule scans and instead scan manually periodically? Any other major issues I need to know before switching?

Thanks for any info!

Jim

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version