ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (12/28) > >>

f0dder:
Sheesh--60 hours? When Steve Gibson said (in that Security Now episode mentioned earlier) that MSE's full scan speed was slower than SpinRite, I just kinda figured he was exaggerating for effect (he loves to mention his software every chance he gets, anyways ;D).-sajman99 (October 12, 2009, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---
Yeah he does, doesn't he?

And I'll chirp in with the comment that always goes whenever somebody mentions his p.o.s application: friends don't let friends use SpinRite.

Bamse:
Innuendo, next up must be a test on your computer  8) You read too much into random chitchat. A bit selective too, my impression is most like MSE. Much is hype but some know more than OneCare and still see the point. Which should be obvious if knowing security industry. See for your self but if shocked by less than 100% perfection you better not. Scanner does not become flawed because it is slower than another btw. - the opposite can easily make more sense. If you want to see MVPs saying other scanners cheat you can do that, heh. They have actually taken a paranoid route here. Not that it slow down scanning that much. I dont see much point in full scan but what do you think would be an issue if it skipped files? Some would say Grandma have no clue of changing settings to genuine full and so MSE is not safe. Think pros and cons instead of being definitive. You use Outpost Suite right?  8) What an interesting changelog for that program! Hopefully you have dug into settings or virus scanner work somewhat... Strange default settings for a HIPS but user can always learn and modify, also with Outpost. Again the only real problem I can see myself and others unite about is cpu spiking and that is mainly relevant when you know about it. There are many post about that on their forum but truth is most don't notice or don't care, not a showstopper at all. If they take complaints seriously or not is my test of MSE. Im already confident it works great as an AV which is its purpose in life. There is something weird going on, asking to be fixed I would assume - programmer problem not user. We will see. Majority dont post on their forum, join "wish-list" so this is a good test. Overall MSE don't really need defending unless MS stop developing of course or I have missed the many other free perfect AVs... Rest is really nothing in this area of software.

Innuendo:
Innuendo, next up must be a test on your computer  8) You read too much into random chitchat. A bit selective too, my impression is most like MSE. Much is hype but some know more than OneCare and still see the point.-Bamse (October 13, 2009, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

Dude, I don't need to test on my computer. I outlined my best friend's adventure with MSE and it failed miserably. You keep making excuses for MSE, but my opinion is backed up by real world "seen it for myself" facts. You keep talking about how well MSE does in your controlled test bed, but it has failed in real world testing & that's not hearsay. I saw my friend's computer myself. With my own eyes. Please forgive me if I don't want to "test on my computer" software. That. Does. Not. Work. We had to run MBAM, A-Squared, and something else I can't remember to clean all the stuff MSE let in while it was :: cough :: protecting :: cough :: his computer. BTW, this isn't a novice this happened to, either. He's very knowledgeable when it came to PCs. His only mistake was to trust a half-baked security program.

You use Outpost Suite right?  Cool What an interesting changelog for that program! Hopefully you have dug into settings or virus scanner work somewhat...
--- End quote ---

With the miserable failures MS has had so far wtih MSE we'd be in for some very interesting changelogs from them as well, but as you know, MS never posts changelogs. And of course I dug into the settings of my security software. I hope everyone does no matter what they choose to run.

Stoic Joker:
We had to run MBAM, A-Squared, and something else I can't remember to clean all the stuff MSE let in while it was :: cough :: protecting :: cough :: his computer.
-Innuendo (October 13, 2009, 05:43 PM)
--- End quote ---
Out of curiosity, was he running with Administrative rights when this happened?

Bamse:
Well that is up to you Innuendo but dont think you test basing evaluation on random info. You are set on not liking MSE so use a different standard no security software can pass - including the one you use right now. Let us say your friend did not mess up, then what? There are personal disaster stories of every other program. This was just confirming what you want to hear. Which program you want me to fail? We are in free AV section so not that many to chose from. You think it is impossible to make exact replica of your friends story? Provoking problems is so easy! Forget about "reviews" or even the few "reputable" tests. They all have limitations, why should MSE be an exception?

There is no "of course I know settings" about this. This thread show that as well. Majority have no clue of them, expect program to work flawlessly from day 1. Default matters and probably also why MSE is designed the way it is. That is one of the definite good things about it if you think about how majority deal with such a program.

Im not a novice either and had to use Malwarebytes when testing microsoft_09.exe using Outpost Pro  8) - comodo too btw. Default settings are no good but why not accept that since program is not from MS? Threatfire worked. The others did work just not 100%. How it is. Im not shocked or feel a need to warn against anything. Grab another of the 10000s of files and situation might be opposite. I will appreciate HIPS power (set up to actually work) cause no other tool have an idea. If you dont understand that you should be careful with tests and fast conclusions, even feeling "secure". "Of course I know settings" save your butt but not all are so eager to tinker. Any other approach is being naive or paid by a company. You end up writing blog posts or rambling in a podcast  ;D

As Ive said before they do have forum and ways to report bug, even a wishlist so dig in with both eyes open...

What would you feel about MSE if it was years old and had "System Restore did not work under Windows Vista" in changelog for latest version? You dont mind Outpost so guess not a problem? MICROSOFT name on the box makes you shoot left and right  8)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version