ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (7/28) > >>

sri:
Security Essentials fares well in AV-Test trial

Microsoft 's new Security Essentials software has passed at least one exam so far--a review by security testing firm AV-Test.org.

To check static known malware, AV-Test pitted Security Essentials against the most recent WildList, a sampling of 3,732 viruses and other threats compiled by the WildList Organization. Microsoft's product successfully detected and blocked all of the samples in both manual and active scanning.

AV-Test also threw its current set of 545,034 viruses, worms, Trojans, and other threats at Security Essentials. MSSE successfully caught 536,535 samples for an overall good detection score of 98.44 percent.

--- End quote ---

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10366232-83.html

Innuendo:
I was just listening to a podcast by Leo LaPorte & Paul Thurrott earlier & they stated that while MSE has very good virus signatures it lacks any heuristic ability whatsoever. Heuristics, for those that aren't aware, is the part of the program that detects the bad stuff before the signatures get written. Without heuristics one is left vulnerable to 0-day exploits while waiting for a signature for a threat to be included in the daily download.

Bamse:
Which is why any other AV with "heuristics", most of them, are superb  8) I only know Avast 4 with no declared sniffing features, they say a "little". "HIPS" features are also needed for the many "drive-by" infections people suffer from - or the more you think about it the more you "need". Very messy, many dont know first thing of "safe computing" but they do know Windows firewall stink and a better is required. One of the many "truths" out there.

Time will tell if MSE is too simple as an AV.

f0dder:
Very messy, many dont know first thing of "safe computing" but they do know Windows firewall stink and a better is required.-Bamse (October 05, 2009, 11:34 PM)
--- End quote ---
I pity those people :)

mahesh2k:
I'll stick with NOD32 for now. MSE got long way to go.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version