ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (14/28) > >>

MrCrispy:
I've switched to MSE on all my pc's, from Avira/AVG etc. It is light, fast, the detection is at least as good if not better than any other free product (and many paid ones) and it includes rootkits, heuristics, dynamic updates and has o bloat or fluff. I run Vista/Win7 and have had no issues at all. I don't have any problems trusting Microsoft which seems to be a big issue for people.

And I'm willing to bet that if you combine a NAT router ($20), UAC on and running as normal user, IE protected mode, Win7/Vista firewall and MSE, you are not going to get infected unless you ignore any warning and run local files.

MrCrispy:
http://blogs.technet.com/mmpc/archive/2009/10/15/microsoft-security-essentials-week-one.aspx

MSE has a huge potential advantage , as we can already see millions of people will use it and that will improve the signatures. I wish MS would make it a critical update in Windows Update, it would fix 90% of all pc's worldwide.

Bamse:
Yeah but there is still room for improvement. Right now Im waiting for something to drop from the sky, like a "dynamic" signature. Have submitted to MS so looking at clock. http://www.virustotal.com/analisis/96b43cf1cd0780d2c491dc4d4ae94a3e470e558ec9dc6b90d295bc8219d78ca9-1255686179 Im careful about testing since cant do it in Virtualbox due to some validation problems but file definitely not recognized. I know it is not MSE engine they use but Im not running it to test "code emulation" or what they call it. 2 days old and shows how crappy situation is - if you happen to click on everything that moves. And dont use newer Windows properly, but it can potentially get crappy! Remember first thing to do in at least Vista is to turn off UAC and run as admin if not superadmin. As much common knowledge as the opposite and so then risk is much closer.

Bamse:
Damn that was quick - and a disaster! Im not sure it is a good idea to post but must be fair...

Submitted Files
 =============================================
 update.exe [Not Malware]

That better be a FP but Im 99% sure it is not. Got it from a list of malwaredomain. Malware 1, MSE 0  8) I can feel a need to sign up for their forum coming on.

Stoic Joker:

Submitted Files
 =============================================
 update.exe [Not Malware]

-Bamse (October 16, 2009, 04:58 AM)
--- End quote ---
update.exe doesn't tell anybody anything, what is its size, origin, & current location? There are several places one can get a file called update.exe QuickTime has one, (some of) HP's drivers have one; they're almost always persistent ... But that doesn't make them malicious.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version