ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Windows Security Essentials

<< < (11/28) > >>

Stoic Joker:
The scan time thing is by design. The intent being that the computer is still usable during the scan (which does take awhile...), instead of being completely crippled for a few hours like most of the main stream AV suites out there.-Stoic Joker (October 11, 2009, 07:40 AM)
--- End quote ---

If that's by design then it should state that fact plainly before the operation starts. It's only polite behavior for a program to inform me of how long something is going to take if it is going to take over two and a half days (that's 60 hours) to complete.
-Innuendo (October 11, 2009, 10:31 AM)
--- End quote ---
We really need more detail about how much of what was being scanned before deciding if 60hrs is too long. Granted MSE's behavior/performance on XP isn't stellar from what I've seen, but it's certainly not the worst either. It's behavior has been fine on my x64 Win7 box (E6600 CPU).

I too have some files that tend to make AV software panic ... all of which is stored in an area that in on the extremely easy to configure don't scan list.

Innuendo:
Depends if it resumes where it left off after a reboot.-Carol Haynes (October 11, 2009, 11:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

And does it? I'm really asking a genuine question as I don't use MSE.

Innuendo:
We really need more detail about how much of what was being scanned before deciding if 60hrs is too long.-Stoic Joker (October 11, 2009, 07:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

I don't think we need more detail about what was being scanned as what were the run times of all other scanners, i.e. if every other scanner can do it in 13 hours or less (number pulled out of my butt), but MSE takes 60 hours then there's a problem. If, however, every other scanner takes 50-55 hours (pulled those numbers out from next to the other one) then I wouldn't think MSE's results would be excessive.

A more specific example would be comparing MSE's scan time to someone like Kaspersky. Kaspersky is one of the most thorough scanners in the business able to scan inside most archive files and if Kaspersky can scan the same files in a significantly shorter time then MSE's scanner is flawed.

Now, having said all that, MSE is effectively a v1.0 product. There are going to be lots of rough edges and maybe even a serious flaw or two, but everything should get smoothed out over time.

sajman99:
Sheesh--60 hours? When Steve Gibson said (in that Security Now episode mentioned earlier) that MSE's full scan speed was slower than SpinRite, I just kinda figured he was exaggerating for effect (he loves to mention his software every chance he gets, anyways ;D). I mean, I ran SpinRite a few years ago for days on end.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, many folks will hear about this abysmal full scan speed and simply say...moving on.

Innuendo:
Unfortunately for Microsoft, many folks will hear about this abysmal full scan speed and simply say...moving on.-sajman99 (October 12, 2009, 01:53 PM)
--- End quote ---

At this stage of the game the only thing MSE has going for it is that it is free & without ads. If it cost something or was ad-ware I don't think anyone would be defending it or running it. It's simply just not that good yet.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version