ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

I'm tired of being told.

(1/7) > >>

Paul Keith:
Source: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=254088

Today something hit me and it wasnt a bag of dung. A poster made light of a post i had made about avatars and suggesting certain software. I finally came to see the point. Enough for that and I apologize.

What I am tired of it not being able to put my faith in one product and calling it a day. i am tired of being told it wont work. I am tired of being told that i need multiple items to stay safe. Safe from what? Myself? maybe. I am tired of seeing how the so called reality to people popping in here realize, they can not leave their screen doors open because of.....

Why cant we choose one product and be safe and secure. I know why but i am not about to spend 30 minutes explaining because in the end it is pure BS. You can buy one product and be perfectly happy and safe, that, is the reality. The chances of you getting a piece of malware are basically zero if you are what most refer to as a average computer user. I am tired of hearing from so called experts here that I need this and this and this. What is it based on, because that is not true and is a out right lie.

You can choose any product here that fights malware and be perfectly content and safe. You do not have to even think that what others may say is even close to reality. Boy, I am rolling. But the reality is we create a mass hysteria by posting test results, personal test results and the like. Nuff said because I will be bashed like heck for this, but i really, dont care. If you actually read this post remember this. There are good products here, choose one, and you will be fine. Catching just 60 percent of malware is perfectly fine because what they wont say is, you will never encounter the other 40 percent anyway, or your chances are very slim. No, they wont tell you that.

All I can say is, first I dont recomend any product, nor will I ever, but this site was created for a sole purpose and that purpose and/or product is great. But even if you decide to go another route, pick one and move on because you do not need 30 blankets to keep your ass warm in the winter. Just one electric one.
--- End quote ---

Some of you may accuse me for not going SFO (Search Forum Optimization) on the title but I didn't want it to be this way because we both know that the topic theme goes beyond Antivirus Security.

Still, to limit it to the theme of Windows security, I'm never tired of this becuase no one has made an .exe or Idiot's Guide to Sandboxie + LUA + KAfU + SRP + DEP + SuRun and so I prefer living in the bliss of AV and Antispyware and I feel that if a newb wants to learn this, they're better off buying two PCs.

One using Linux for their main files and another having a Windows drive that isn't connected via networking (so that the virus can not infect Windows even if it infected and is immune in Linux)

Still...in an ideal world, I prefer a world where a Virtualized OS does not require halving and knowing how to set the difference in RAM and GB and it just works out of the box for manipulating files and everything I want to backup, I just drag into a "Backup Bin" and when I'm ready, I just click it and the OS is able to put it into backup mode and you're shown a different layer of the OS specifically for backing up these projects.

(Yes, Sandboxie does a variation of this for security but the ui isn't as convenient as say Dropbox for pure backing up and segmenting of back-up files.)

sri:
I just glanced through the quote and your post.

To me it doesn't look like a headache issue. Just install nod32/kaspersky + Malwarebytes' anti-malware and you are safe.

Paul Keith:
@sri,

Well, I'm not sure where you got your recommendation but that's kind of the ups and downs with Wilders Security.

They are so obsessed with security that many are pioneers for exposing Nod32 and Kaspersky and Malwarebytes so that nowadays we can just recommend them but at the same time, that same obsession means constant comparison and searching for even newer and better ways to secure Windows.

The middle result is that you get posts like these.

sri:
http://www.virus.gr/portal/en/content/2009-08%2C-10-august-05-september

These guys do comprehensive antivirus comparison tests.

Surprising to see the free AVG rank higher than Nod32.

nosh:
+1 for Malwarebytes. It sorted out a nasty rootkit infection for me just two days back.  :up:

Truecrypt wouldn't mount anything and I'd get the message "The maximum number of secrets that may be stored in a single system has been exceeded." - hilarious stuff (if it isn't happening to you.) ;D

</ot>

I like the idea of constantly pitting these guys against each other... keeps them on  their toes and minimizes the chances of bogus players getting by as legit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version