ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

For those who write articles on CMS, a question.

(1/6) > >>

Paul Keith:
Is the key difference just the fact that blogs are chronologically written while site/CMS articles aren't?

I was thinking if this was the only issue, I'd use a social bookmarking service to off-set this problem instead of learning CMS.

mouser:
I think the internet is in a transitionary period where we have several different kinds of systems that are increasingly overlapped, and it's confusing.

If you think about a CMS, a Blog, a Forum, and a Wiki colaborative system -- the overlaps in functionality are tremendous.  And I have not yet seen any holistic solution that came even close to being satisfying.

Think about the DonationCoder forum where most of the content on this website comes from -- it's the most natural for us because most of what we do is interactive discussion.  I ended up building a custom "blog" thing for the forum that let me basically identify forum posts that get promoted to the chronological blog page -- which works reasonably well, but then it's not a truly full featured blog.

Blog comments and forum discussions are almost identical -- but they tend to be displayed differently because blog comment threads usually don't go on as long and aren't meant to have such rich formatting and content.

What about a wiki -- most wiki systems now have a way to have full discussions among users for each node -- again much like a forum discussion but again (like blogs) not intended to support such rich and lengthy discussion as a forum.  And again the organizational structure is completely different.

But we frequently find ourselves on the forum in situations where we'd like to have a more structured wiki like organization of information for certain things -- but usually that information was hashed out on the forum -- so what do we do -- strip it out and move it to a separate wiki where people usually never go? or duplicate it and then risk diverging non-updated versions?

Like I said I don't think anyone has come up with a great solution.. yet.. but i can't wait to see what it is.  I think eventually it has to take the form of a content system with different facets or ways to interact with the content -- as a blog, or as a forum or as a wiki -- but still be one repository of information.  I'm not sure exactly how that will look or work, but i'll know it when i see it.

Paul Keith:
Thanks for that insight mouser.

Still... it is problematic though.

What made you eventually settle on this model ...or was it a case that you just tried adapting to your needs and eventually when you found something that satisfies you, you just stuck with it?

mouser:
like most things in life, donationcoder has just evolved incrementally over time..

Paul Keith:
I don't suppose you have an article somewhere listing the evolution of DC do you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version