ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (15/18) > >>

f0dder:
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be a bit unfair to install OSX on a regular pc and not a mac? (I know about macs being x86, I mean a computer without the keyboard shortcuts, camera, gigantic screen, etc)
-jgpaiva (October 13, 2009, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
You do have the keyboard shortcuts on a regular keyboard, as long as it has the Windows keys :)
-f0dder (October 13, 2009, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK, mac uses other keyboard shortcuts (for expose and such), not present in regular keyboards. Also, I'm not sure if it'd make any sense to use a regular keyboard with a mac, since you'd always be thinking "where do those symbols on the screen link?" (regarding alt, ctrl and apple buttons).
-jgpaiva (October 13, 2009, 05:21 AM)
--- End quote ---
Afaik the scancode for "that fancy mac button" is the same as the Win-button.

Nudel:
Is that still the case? I did a search for any recent reports of UAC issues and couldn't find any. The results that were returned by Google all related to either the beta or RC with MS promising to address those issues for RTM
-Eóin (September 29, 2009, 08:44 PM)
--- End quote ---

My proof of concept UAC-bypass app still works in the Windows 7 RTM if you're using the default settings.

Whether or not it's a big deal is a matter of debate. Personally, I don't care if the UAC prompts are on or off by default; I just want something that is fair to all apps and whose design and implementation actually makes sense, rather than the current worst-of-both-worlds solution which seems to be driven more by appearances than anything else.

Aside from that, and a few minor bugs I've run into on the API side, I quite like Windows 7. It's definitely an improvement and not something anyone should avoid (e.g. if getting a new PC or if they have to reinstall anyway). Once again, Media Center has the biggest set of improvements and, like Vista was to XP, it's a must-have upgrade for people who use that. For everyone else, it's nice and there are some cool tweaks that, IMO, don't justify the upgrade by themselves but that you'll miss if you switch and then have to switch back for some reason. I can still happily use Vista, though, or even XP (although XP feels pretty clunky in a few areas now).

Eóin:
Thanks Nudel, that very much answers my question :)

40hz:

Anyone have any inside scoop how many years we have to wait for USB 3.0?  Also disappointing is none of the otherwise pretty good deals seem to have Esata.  I hate opening boxes just to stick some card in that should already be there.

-MilesAhead (October 10, 2009, 05:56 PM)
--- End quote ---

According to the folks over at Endgadget, Buffalo is shipping at the end of October 2009.

Est. $60 for the 2-port controller card/$225 1TB drive.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/07/buffalo-ships-worlds-first-usb-3-0-hard-disk-drives-this-month/

"Pretty gorram shiny by me!" - Jayne Cobb 8)

40hz:
OK. I've been running 32-bit W7 almost exclusively for about a week now...

No problems whatsoever. The only anomaly came when I tried to install Silverlight via IE 8.0.  First three tries and IE went out into limbo. One reboot and one more try did the trick however. Works just fine now.

I'm currently only running: Office 2k7, LiveMail, LiveWriter, Firefox, Radik Burner Lite, AVG Free, and Maricum Reflect since I'm still feeling my way into it. To my amazement, there have been no bad surprises, other than IE 8 having occasional issues with font sizes on certain (e.g. HP Driver Downloads) websites.

I can't run Aero eye candy on this machine since it's on-board video isn't up to the requirements (perf score was only 2.0 for video!), but that's no great loss AFAIC. I don't really care for the Aero effects and planned on disabling them anyway.

The only minor qualm I had was having to install a Vista-labeled driver (per Microsoft) for one of my 1Gb NICs. Fortunately, it went in smoothly and works flawlessly. Now, this card works even better than it does under XP, so I probably shouldn't complain.

So far - so good. The system seems to be quite light on it's feet. Even seems even slightly faster that XP in some areas, although that may likely be because I have far less stuff running in the background than I do on my XP setup.

I'm pretty happy so far. (Fingers crossed. ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version