ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (14/18) > >>

jgpaiva:
The reason I'm going is because he intends to setup a room of similar computers and simultaneously install everything:

— XP-SP3
— Vista
— Win7
— openSUSE Linux
— Linux Mint
— OSX
-zridling (October 12, 2009, 07:58 PM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be a bit unfair to install OSX on a regular pc and not a mac? (I know about macs being x86, I mean a computer without the keyboard shortcuts, camera, gigantic screen, etc)

f0dder:
-jgpaiva (October 13, 2009, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
Hmm.. Wouldn't it be a bit unfair to install OSX on a regular pc and not a mac? (I know about macs being x86, I mean a computer without the keyboard shortcuts, camera, gigantic screen, etc)
[/quote]You do have the keyboard shortcuts on a regular keyboard, as long as it has the Windows keys :)

jgpaiva:
-jgpaiva (October 13, 2009, 05:15 AM)
--- End quote ---
You do have the keyboard shortcuts on a regular keyboard, as long as it has the Windows keys :)
-f0dder (October 13, 2009, 05:16 AM)
--- End quote ---
AFAIK, mac uses other keyboard shortcuts (for expose and such), not present in regular keyboards. Also, I'm not sure if it'd make any sense to use a regular keyboard with a mac, since you'd always be thinking "where do those symbols on the screen link?" (regarding alt, ctrl and apple buttons).

Stoic Joker:
It's a shame things can't be kept simple.  I like HP machines just for the fact that after buying 6 I think I had one that was bad OOTB.  The others have all been plug and play, working until obsolete.-MilesAhead (October 12, 2009, 06:33 PM)
--- End quote ---
True, simple is best in the long run. ...And yes my view is a bit dimmed by seeing mostly (end user) client machines.

I am amazed at times at the power of the written word though.  I had one customer when I was doing auto repair, that got a "winterize" special done. We flushed the radiator, yadda yadda.. then when it came time to put the anti-freeze mix in, he would not allow us to put it in the radiator because it was a Chrysler motors product, and on the radiator it said "use only Mopar anti-freeze."  That's like saying "use only snowballs made with General Motors water."  I'm serious.  The guy actually went down to a parts store and came back with a couple of gallons of Mopar anti-freeze and made us put that in!!!

I wish I had an option on some swamp land for that dude!!!   :wallbash:

--- End quote ---
Mechanic Huh? I spent many years as a mechanic in motorcycle shops, If it wasn't for the arthritis I'd probably still be doing that. I still do all my own work (and some specialty work for others) but I pay for it at the end of the (and next) day. I believe I actually liked engines better than computers; engines are visceral, tactile, & soulful... while computers are sterile & in-tangent.

MilesAhead:
I believe I actually liked engines better than computers; engines are visceral, tactile, & soulful... while computers are sterile & in-tangent.
-Stoic Joker (October 13, 2009, 05:59 AM)
--- End quote ---

Yeah, there was something about diagnosing a problem, like if a car is running rough, by just leaning over the running engine, closing your eyes, and listening. The oscilloscopes and all that are fine.  But if you have experience chances are you know the answer in your subconscious.  You just have to relax and let it out. Plus it's more fun than running 128 tests in a series that you can't do if the engine doesn't run. ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version