ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (7/18) > >>

paarkhi:
Friends,
Late on the wagon here but using windows 7 since october 2008 as the Main OS (I know it sounds crazy), In the beginning it used to crash, as with any other Pre-Beta (Alpha) releases, but now it is rock solid and no regrets.
Using it on 2 years old Laptop and on quadcore where drivers are not available for XP.
Quadcore is of very high config and new so it runs easily but Laptop has
Intel Celeron 1.8 Ghz with on board graphics, 1.5 GB DDR2 RAM, 250GB SATA2 HDD, Intel 965 Series MoBo
and I never regret using it, it detects all my drivers automatically after installation, I've really tried badly to install XP and I was able to install it but Drivers were never available, 1 or other always missing...
Previous to this I had Vista X86
Now Im on windows 7 X86 RTM and am happy with it.
Thank you for reading this...

Innuendo:
BTW, one question. I noticed that unlike older versions, file managers have their access to "Program Files" and similar folders restricted, and the only way to see them is either running the file manager with higher privileges, or to grant permanent access using Windows Explorer. What is this restriction all about? Is it just a new way to do the old "Don't show hidden folders"? Is there some security risk by granting permanent access to them? Note that back then both xplorer² and XYplorer (the two apps I used) didn't officially support Win7.-Lashiec (September 30, 2009, 09:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I use Total Commander & I used it with Windows 7 before Total Commander officially supported it & I haven't had to run TC with higher privileges to see any directory on any of my hard drives. Now if you are wanting to delete or edit any files in a protected directory or copy or move any files into a protected directory you will have to elevate the file manager's privileges, but read-only access doesn't require such. At least that's been my experience with TC.

Maybe you need to give your file managers of choice another go once they fully support Windows 7, but things really should work the same way they did with Vista in regards to how protected system directories work.

Innuendo:
I sill think the icons could be a little less cartoony. And all those pastel shades remind me of the decor you'd find in a baby's room. But that's just me.  :P-40hz (September 30, 2009, 12:40 PM)
--- End quote ---

I found out early on in the beta process that going into the settings and changing the pre-dominant window color from Sky to Slate 'mans' up Windows 7 quite a bit. It'll tide things over till the after-market programs come out that support Windows 7 that will allow us to change the color schemes more to our liking & use alternate icon sets.

MilesAhead:
Hmmmmmm, I'd be way more impressed if they could get rid of drive letters altogether!  I just wasted an hour with my network shares because my USB dock decided to come up in Windows7 as drives F: and G: instead of H: and I:.  Couldn't use Computer Management to shift 'em back because removable drives shifted over to take the letters I want.  That and spaces in file paths have to be the biggest time wasters in all of computing!!  Sheesh!!

The more it changes the more it remains the same. :(

Darwin:
The new task bar unfortunately makes True Launch Bar near inoperable.
-Innuendo (September 28, 2009, 02:20 PM)
--- End quote ---

Crap! Hopefully it serves as a nice replacement for True Launch Bar?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version