ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (5/18) > >>

Eóin:
Adding those security levels, or at least the way they implemented them, is one of the stupidest bend-over-for-morons things that MS has done for quite a while. Run anything but the max setting, and you're once again wide open to exploits.
-f0dder (September 29, 2009, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

Is that still the case? I did a search for any recent reports of UAC issues and couldn't find any. The results that were returned by Google all related to either the beta or RC with MS promising to address those issues for RTM

Innuendo:
I don't know what kind of job you have, Innuendo, but you should be working in the sales department :-)  You have made me really want to have Win 7, despite the fact that I apparently will have to say good-bye to my beloved True Launch Bar.-Curt (September 29, 2009, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

Heh...I just get enthused about technology. The great thing about new MS OSes is they can be run as trial versions so you'll be able to try it before you buy it.

One or two questions: Does Win 7 carry on with the "downloads" folder concept? ....Or does Win 7 have some kind of "Move Folder And Open It"?
--- End quote ---

Now someone else will have to answer these questions. For downloads I use FlashGot on Firefox in tandem with Internet Download Accelerator that I use to segregate my downloads into various folders & for 90% of my file management I use a tweaked-out copy of Total Commander.

Innuendo:
On adequate hardware, you don't feel the speed hit; on a dualcore machine the extra CPU cycles spent isn't something you notice, but the extra features are. With 2GB of memory, the extra ram gobbled up is pretty irrelevant (but the advantages of SuperFetch definitely aren't!). With a nice GPU, Aero is nice. But if you try to run Win7 on 5 year old hardware that ran XP fine, you'll likely be disappointed.-f0dder (September 29, 2009, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

f0dder, I have to respectfully disagree about older hardware at least in some cases. I'm running Windows 7 on a 6 year old PC from before the days of dual core processors that has a video card that is 4 generations old and Windows 7 is a LOT faster on this PC than XP was. I understand it won't be like this for everyone, but if you've got a pretty fast video card there's a pretty good chance the experience will be the same as I'm experiencing.

With Vista's release I had just about resigned myself to having to buy a new PC for Microsoft's next OS. However, Windows 7 has breathed new life into this old hardware & the improvements are so many over Vista that I'll probably be able to wait till Windows 8 (or whatever it's called) to upgrade my PC.

Disclaimer: Results not typical. Objects may be closer than they appear.  Product sold by weight not volume. Contents may settle during shipping. Void where prohibited by law.

Carol Haynes:
I have to agree - I am running Win 7 Pro on an old single core computer (along with multibooting XP and Vista Professional SP2) and using onboard graphics (so no great shakes) and it runs as fast (if not slightly faster) than XP on the same machine and significantly better than Vista.

All of these of 32 bit editions of the OS, granted they have 2Gb of memory to play with but I have been pleased with the way Win 7 has pumped a bit more life into this system. With Vista I was thinking of looking for a new mobo to use a multicore processor but now I am not going to bother.

Innuendo:
All of these of 32 bit editions of the OS, granted they have 2Gb of memory to play with but I have been pleased with the way Win 7 has pumped a bit more life into this system. With Vista I was thinking of looking for a new mobo to use a multicore processor but now I am not going to bother.-Carol Haynes (September 30, 2009, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad your experience mirrors my own, Carol. I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this release. Little Kylie didn't lie to us. More happy *really* is coming.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version