ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (2/18) > >>

Innuendo:
Windows 7 is really an awesome addition to the Windows dynasty. It's going to make a lot of people happy & feel good where Windows is going as an operating system. If you have been unhappy with a lot of niggles and complaints in past versions of Windows then Windows 7 is probably going to be enough to keep you from switching to another OS or if you have switched it might be enough to get you to switch back.

If, however, you hate everything Windows & Microsoft stand for or are perfectly happy with your non-Microsoft Windows OS then I don't think there's enough magic in Windows 7 to make a compelling argument for you to come into the Windows fold, but there's still a bit of good news for you in that as with any new OS release Microsoft or otherwise, there are some nifty tricks & features present that other OS software authors will take notice of & they'll be mimicked in the OS of your choice.

As for upgrading from Windows XP,  that was a fine OS in its day and may feel like it has some life left in it, but the time is approaching that one must face the fact that XP is a seven year old operating system. That's a lifetime in the realm of computers. Many innovations have happened across all operating system platforms & it's just not as secure as a modern operating system can and should be. On October 22nd if you are one of the people running around desperately clinging to Windows XP as an operating system you are going to be roughly equivalent to that group of people who were desperately clinging to Windows 98 when Windows XP was released...and there's only a gap of four years between those OSes!

If you don't like any Microsoft OS after Windows XP then fine. Get a Mac. Switch to a recent Linux distro, but it's time to embrace a more secure operating system where it is much more difficult for trojans, viruses, and botnets to infiltrate and proliferate.

Will the new task bar make programs like True Launch Bar redundant?-Curt (September 28, 2009, 11:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

The new task bar unfortunately makes True Launch Bar near inoperable. Gone are the days of being able to imbed all of TLB's nifty features into the Windows Task Bar. It's unknown if the author is going to be able to bring that functionality back, but now the way things are you have to set up a separate toolbar using a stand-alone version of TLB which, IMHO, takes away a lot of the gee-whiz handy benefits of the program.

wraith808:
I went to one of the boring windows 7 launch things today, and got much schwag-  And a free copy!

40hz:
I went to one of the boring windows 7 launch things today, and got much schwag-  And a free copy!
-wraith808 (September 28, 2009, 02:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

Sweet!

nudone:
I'm so excited that I could barely finish my rice pudding!
-cranioscopical (September 28, 2009, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
heheheh.

(oh, is that with jam?)

cranioscopical:
I'm so excited that I could barely finish my rice pudding!
-cranioscopical (September 28, 2009, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---
heheheh.

(oh, is that with jam?)
-nudone (September 28, 2009, 05:22 PM)
--- End quote ---
Some of you guys are so affluent! I couldn't aspire to that.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version