ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (16/18) > >>

Carol Haynes:
I have read most (but not all) of this thread so excuse me if this has already been mentioned ...

I just spotted this on Amazon UK:

Important--changes to EU release of Microsoft Windows 7

Please note that Microsoft have recently made a number of changes to the European release of Microsoft Windows 7. Please be aware that while this is subject to change, the latest information that Amazon has is:

* This version of Windows 7 ships as a full edition, suitable for both new Windows users and Windows Vista users looking to upgrade. Although a ‘clean install’ is not essential for existing Windows Vista users, this is recommended by Microsoft UK.
    * All editions of Windows 7 will now include the Internet Explorer 8 web browser as standard.

Amazon.co.uk will continue to update this page as and when further information becomes available.
--- End quote ---

So it appears that MS or the EU has backtracked on the original decision not to include Internet Explorer. Presumably the EU and US versions are now identical again or where there other differences I have forgotten about?

40hz:
So it appears that MS or the EU has backtracked on the original decision not to include Internet Explorer.
-Carol Haynes (October 18, 2009, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

In Win7, Microsoft now allows you to disable IE using the Windows Feature panel. Windows does get rather 'snarky' about it when you tell it to do so - and just how much of IE actually does get disabled is anybody's guess. But it's a start.

I wonder if that's the bone MS threw to the EU?

Presumably the EU and US versions are now identical again or where there other differences I have forgotten about?
-Carol Haynes (October 18, 2009, 05:12 AM)
--- End quote ---

Nope. We're one Big Happy World again. "Yesterday's Technology at Tomorrow's Prices" courtesy of those good folks in Seattle.

Hopefully your local price tag will be better than ours. ;)

Innuendo:
Hopefully your local price tag will be better than ours. ;)-40hz (October 18, 2009, 08:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

Chances are poor Carol, and other UKers, will get the screw. Lots of software companies when setting UK software prices usually just remove the $ off of the US price tag and replace it with a £.

40hz:
Chances are poor Carol, and other UKers, will get the screw. Lots of software companies when setting UK software prices usually just remove the $ off of the US price tag and replace it with a £.
-Innuendo (October 18, 2009, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, last time I looked $1.00 ≈ 0.68€ or £0.62 -  so that amounts to a pretty nice discount if that's how the distributors handle currency conversions. ;D

<Edit: NOT! See Carol's comment directly below...>  :'(

Carol Haynes:
-Innuendo (October 18, 2009, 12:05 PM)
--- End quote ---

Well, last time I looked $1.00 ≈ 0.68€ or £0.62 -  so that amounts to a pretty nice discount if that's how the distributors handle currency conversions. ;D
-40hz (October 18, 2009, 03:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

How do you work that out? If $1=£0.62 that means MS charge £1 in the UK so we pay $1.61 for the same item (give or take a cent). Doesn't looklike much of a discount to me.

Actually I now have a MAPs subscription so I get 10 copies of Windows Professional included + 10 copies of Office Enterprise (plus copies of Home Server/SB Server/Server Standard/Exchange/SQL Server etc and Visual Studio) for 'in-house' use - on average they all work out about £12 a copy for  each even if I only use Windows/Office. OK I am only using 4 copies of each so I don't get the full benefit but it ain't a bad deal.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version