ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (10/18) > >>

Deozaan:
I heard that an upgrade to Win7 from Vista takes about 3.5 hours, but a clean install takes only about 20 minutes.

Carol Haynes:
It doesn't take that long.

I did a sequential upgrade from XP to Win 7 Pro via the following route:

Win XP - > Vista HP -> Win 7 HP -> Win 7 Pro

I can't remember how long that all took but it was under 2 hours for the lot.

I don't have a license for Win 7 HP and so I upgraded without a key and then upgraded to the Pro version with the key.

Darwin:
I just received my signature copy of Windows 7 Ultimate and did an in-place upgrade from Vista 64 bit to 7 64 bit and so far everything is very stable and nothing seems to be broken. In fact, two apps that had mysteriously ceased working under Vista are fine under 7 with no tweaking on my part.

EDIT: PS TrueLaunchBar 64 works fine on my installation. Not sure if that would've been true on a clean install or not...

Innuendo:
I heard that an upgrade to Win7 from Vista takes about 3.5 hours, but a clean install takes only about 20 minutes.-Deozaan (October 05, 2009, 02:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

How long an upgrade takes is totally dependent on how much stuff you have installed on the OS you are upgrading. The Windows 7 upgrade installer examines the registry, backs up everything that isn't in a stock install, examines your installed apps, backs up everything that isn't in a stock install, installs a fresh copy of Windows 7, and then finally restores everything that it backed up from the registry & apps.

It can be a very time-consuming process, but I have performed a lot of upgrade installs during the beta cycle and so long as you uninstall first anything the Windows upgrade installer tells you to, chances are you're almost always going to have a 100% working system. I'd do an upgrade install, test things, and then wipe the drive and install everything fresh just to compare & I never once saw a difference in how anything behaved. MS finally got it right.

Old upgrade installers from MS just laid the new OS blindly over the top of the old one without much regard for the repurcussions. Windows 7's upgrade installer takes the time to analyze things and make things work the way they should, i.e. the upgrade installer finally after 20+ years works the way it should have in the first place.

Darwin:
The upgrade took about 4 hours on my setup (Vista Ultimate 64 to Win 7 Ultimate 64). I pared things down enough to satisfy the installer's free space requirements but didn't uninstall anything (though I should have, given that I have a lot of software that I never use installed). It took a long time but was completely automatic - I didn't have to do a thing.

As Innuendo says, the upgrade is flawless - I still haven't found anything broken but am enjoying a number of features and programs that the installer fixed but that were broken under Vista (I realize now that I should have tried repairing my Vista installation to correct these issues. Live and learn)  :Thmbsup:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version