ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

<< < (6/18) > >>

Lashiec:
If you use a WDM 1.1-capable video card you are going to see even more of the graphics load put upon the GPU which means you are going to have a faster Windows experience for one thing.
-Innuendo (September 29, 2009, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Part of what reduces memory footprint a fair amount compared to Vista is WDDM 1.1 drivers. If you only get WDDM 1.0 for your hardware (which might be the case with some slightly older), Win7 will work just like Vista, which means very little GUI acceleration, and all bitmap surfaces present both on GPU and in system RAM.
-f0dder (September 29, 2009, 03:39 PM)
--- End quote ---

There, now I can upgrade the GPU with a clean conscience. "Are you wasting 200 € to play games?" "No, I swear Windows requires it!"

Windows Explorer has been optimized and streamlined. Managing your files is easier as the more common file management functions are close at hand. My Documents has been put on steroids with the Library feature. Configure multiple directories for each category and all those files in multiple directories appear in one Explorer window.
-Innuendo (September 29, 2009, 12:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

I hope software starts to support Libraries, since Windows 7 changed quite a bit the "My Documents" paradigm for what I saw in the Win7 beta. All the folders contained under it are now located in what is the new "Documents and Settings" folder, and I didn't see any way to move them elsewhere, just like you could with "My Documents". Since my data is located in a secondary drive, Libraries would help a lot here.

BTW, one question. I noticed that unlike older versions, file managers have their access to "Program Files" and similar folders restricted, and the only way to see them is either running the file manager with higher privileges, or to grant permanent access using Windows Explorer. What is this restriction all about? Is it just a new way to do the old "Don't show hidden folders"? Is there some security risk by granting permanent access to them? Note that back then both xplorer² and XYplorer (the two apps I used) didn't officially support Win7.

tranglos:
I don't know what kind of job you have, Innuendo, but you should be working in the sales department :-) 
-Curt (September 29, 2009, 01:10 PM)
--- End quote ---

What Curt said. That was a really inspired write-up, informative too. Thanks a bunch, Innuendo!

40hz:
All of these of 32 bit editions of the OS, granted they have 2Gb of memory to play with but I have been pleased with the way Win 7 has pumped a bit more life into this system. With Vista I was thinking of looking for a new mobo to use a multicore processor but now I am not going to bother.-Carol Haynes (September 30, 2009, 03:13 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm glad your experience mirrors my own, Carol. I think a lot of people are going to be happy with this release. Little Kylie didn't lie to us. More happy *really* is coming.
-Innuendo (September 30, 2009, 09:14 AM)
--- End quote ---

Mirrors mine as well. So far, the overall experience has been positive.

I have the 32-bit version of Win7 Pro running quite happily on 'Modest Mouse' which is my low-end test box. 'Mouse' has a 2.2Ghz Athlon 64 mobo with onboard GeForce 6100 graphics + 1.5 Gb RAM. Vista never did run well on this box. Win7, however, seems to be quite happy with it. Overall performance is good.

I sill think the icons could be a little less cartoony. And all those pastel shades remind me of the decor you'd find in a baby's room. But that's just me.  :P

Win7 integrates very nicely into a network running Windows Server 2003. Far less hassles on that score than was the case with Vista. Haven't tested it with Server 2008 yet, but I'm sure it will work just as well (or better) in that environment. I'm very curious to see how well it behaves in a non-Windows network, but that will have to wait for a slow rainy day.

Overall, I'm quite impressed. And since I'm bored to tears with WinXP, this new release is a very welcome change. I don't know if I would say I'm excited. But I'm definitely interested...

Either way - it's here to stay.  8)

y0himba:
I just finished installing my free, completely legal copy of Windows 7 Ultimate.  I am running the RTM right now, and it is NICE.  I have been running the RC 7100 for a while but this is lighter, with subtle changes all around.  It is also a buttload lighter than Vista was, although I cannot complain about Vista, I honestly had no issues with it after a few well placed tweaks.  I recieved it for attending the New Efficiency launch event in PGH, PA.

Here are some photos: http://www.y0himba.net/images/win7event  (It's ugly, but works.  I am tired and made this quickly)

I will put a few videos up tomorrow on my Youtube:  http://www.youtube.com/user/y0himba  (There is one there now, streamed from my Smartphone)

Deozaan:
I was kind of indifferent about Windows 7; I planned on getting it eventually but wasn't in any rush to get it.

But now because of this thread I'm excited to get it. ;D

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version