ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Win7: Anyone else getting excited?

(1/18) > >>

zridling:

I know it's not a super/major change, but seems like Windows 7 is going to be a lot of fun. Heck, custom PC manufacturer, Puget Systems, says it will begin shipping Windows 7 machines on October 13th, nine days before its release date.

edbro:
I've been running the 64bit Ultimate version on all 3 of my home's machines. I installed it the day it went RTM. I have a Technet sub. I wouldn't call it that revolutionary but I am very pleased with it. I have yet to see a crash and I have had zero problems finding drivers for anything. Most of my software is compatible with the OS and the rest have beta versions out there that are compatible (DirOpus for example).

The interface is slick. I am coming from XP, having skipped Vista. I did try Vista a couple of times but always got frustrated by it and uninstalled it. I don't see any of those frustrations with Win 7.

Win 7 is solid and the UI is nice. But, I don't see any compelling reason to pay hundreds of dollars for it over XP.

Carol Haynes:
Ditto edbro's comments (except I am running the Win 7 Pro version on a MAP subscription).

It just works and has lost the annoying feel of Vista - especially UAC which I eventually turned off in Vista Ultimate as it drove me mad.

I really like the new task bar - it does what QuickLaunch should have done ever since it appeared and removes the need for the traditional taskbar.

Win 7 also feels a bit quicker and less resource intensive than Vista (I haven't done any tests but I would say it feels slightly nippier than XP too).

Whether it is worth the cost of the upgrade from XP (and the lack of proper upgrade route hassle) is debatable but if you have Vista I would say it was worth the upgrade - especially if you managed to order early and get the discount prices.

Having said that XP is on the way out and I'd guess Windows 7 will be around for quite a while. Manufacturer's will start producing drivers for Windows 7 only at some point and then an upgrade will be needed to buy new equipment.

Final comment - I really can't see the point of buying into Win 7 ultimate. OK you get Bitlocker and a few language packs but is it really worth the extra cost? Plus MS are probably going to drop Ultimate altogether by Windows 8 and that can only be helped along if people don't get suckered into the Ultimate version again! I have a free license for Win7 ultimate (sorry not transferable) but I won't even be installing it as Win 7 Pro is more than adequate for anything I am likely to do and Ultimate will only make future upgrades difficult.

Curt:
I really like the new task bar - it does what QuickLaunch should have done
-Carol Haynes (September 28, 2009, 09:32 AM)
--- End quote ---

Will the new task bar make programs like True Launch Bar redundant?  :tellme:

cranioscopical:
I'm so excited that I could barely finish my rice pudding!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version