ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Thinking about setting up a dedicated "secure PC" in my house.. Thoughts?

<< < (5/6) > >>

4wd:
Another idea that could appeal to the geek in you :)

Install a VIA Artigo a1000 into a spare 5.25 bay and use a KVM to switch.

Thinking about setting up a dedicated "secure PC" in my house.. Thoughts?

mouser:
that is cool.

Stoic Joker:
I actually do the exact opposit; I maintain a secure network (domain), no one touches my primary machine, and anything questionable I need to do is done on a throw-away VM that I always keep running (usually minimized).

While I liked to have many machines to tinker with (at one point), the light bill was getting insane ... So now I'm a huge VPC fan. I've still got one more server (that I'm kinda attached to...) to virtualize then I'll have all 4 in one physical machine.

zridling:
One of the best ideas I've heard in a while. Love the Artico idea, too, 4wd.

mouser:
I actually do the exact opposit; I maintain a secure network (domain), no one touches my primary machine, and anything questionable I need to do is done on a throw-away VM that I always keep running (usually minimized).
--- End quote ---

this is a reasonable idea too -- and i considered it.  but while i am paranoid about what software i install on my main pc, i still do a ton of web browsing from my main pc, so it seems to me that is where i fear the unknown risk factor comes in.  so unless i'm prepared to do all web browsing from a virtual pc and not my main OS, i need the sensitive stuff to be elsewhere.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version