ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

Be warned - Acronis Backup and Recovery

<< < (5/5)

Carol Haynes:
Today Acronis released an update which amongst other things fixed the BSOD error.-Carol Haynes (October 02, 2009, 10:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Back on topic ...

My experiences so far with Acronis Backup and Recovery Advanced Workstation:

1) Initial release build - endless problems getting it installed. Introduces numerous running processes and ten applications to Add/Remove programs applet. No integrated installer other then via a web download system which means every repair or reinstall meant downloading over 600Mb of data.

2) Build 11055 released. Seemed to work OK on my system but other systems experienced BSOD 0x0A afetr every reboot until 'Use last known good gonfiguation' option was used which effectively removed the product.

3) Build 11133 released. Now I can't use VSS to ensure consistent backups of my system drive. Seems to work fine on any hard drive that doesn't include a system partition but on the system drive you can't use VSS even with the Windows partition excluded. Completely pointless product - the whole point of VSS is to ensure a backup of internally consistent data - without that functionality product is worse than useless.

[Edit - Correction ... use of VSS is inconsistent sometimes you can't backup any drives with VSS enabled]

4) Reverted 11055 - started getting BSODs myself and had the devil's own job to get the system to start in a way that allowed me to install the SnapAPI patch fix.

5) Installed SnapAPI fix (so now running 11055 with fix) and have the same problem as 11133 with lack of VSS support.

All in all an extremely frustrating experience.

Situation is so bad now that Acronis Support forums have either been taken off line or can't cope with the volume as all I get is a white screen.

Instant support try to be helpful online (the promised telephone support no longer seems to exist - at least I can find no way to get a telephone number) but they always want to collect information for supoort to examine and tell you to run AcroniInfo.

Trouble is I can't get AcronisInfo to run on my system it just exits with errors every time. So they can't even write a troubleshooting tool that works consistently.

Is Acronis going to be in it's final death roll over this one? I cannot see how a manufacturer of corporate recovery software can survive with this debacle. I would imagine corportate clients will abandon the sinking ship in droves.

Innuendo:
Is Acronis going to be in it's final death roll over this one? I cannot see how a manufacturer of corporate recovery software can survive with this debacle. I would imagine corportate clients will abandon the sinking ship in droves.-Carol Haynes (October 04, 2009, 06:49 AM)
--- End quote ---

Looks like their quick rise to greatness is only going to be matched by their quick decline into....well....poo.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version