ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Firefox - new window - can you remember the google search you opened with

(1/3) > >>

Steven Avery:
Hi Folks,

Yes, I know I could ask in FF land, however let's try here first. A bit more out-of-the-box.

I open a new window in Google (usually I have the setting as a background opening) and 30 minute later I go to the window to search for ... what was in the google search.  However I forgot which search it was ! hmmm .  Any extensions or tricks to overcome this ?  Keep that search somewhere .. e.g. in the Find: bar when the window returns or a special little view area.

Another big FF need, the wonderful little "Find" box on the bottom bar.  I want two or three of them, so I can toggle searches without retyping and remembering as I go over pages.  Once I asked in FF land and got mostly blank stares, yet I think this would be 10x more effective that the fancy stuff they do in search land.

Shalom,
Steven Avery

sri:
Not sure what you are asking here w.r.t the first question.

You might want to try http://www.google.com/history/

It records the searches you did in Google so you can go back and see what searched for in the day, in the past few days etc.

For your 2nd question, try http://www.oxymoronical.com/web/firefox/Thinger

Hirudin:
I'm not sure what you're saying about the google searches either. Are you saying that when you're reading a page when you see something you'd like to explore further you highlight it, right click on it, and choose "Search Google for _____".

Since the page opens in the background you don't check it for a while. Then once you do start reading it you forget what the search was for?

I agree with your find bar idea, multiple find boxes would be very helpful.* Or at least an option to have one "find" query per tab (instead of one per window like it is now). I'd also like some more power in my searches finds (wildcards, "or" option, number ranges, etc.). The "Match case" option is nice and all, but I could use a few more options.

* I didn't read much of the Thinger page, does it have that option?

sword:
Question:
Steven
Topic: Firefox - new window - can you remember the google search you opened with
« on: Today [Thu Sep 24 2009] at 08:49:35 AM »
However I forgot which search it was ! hmmm .  Any extensions or tricks to overcome this ? 
Keep that search somewhere .. e.g. in the Find: bar when the window returns or a special
little view area... toggle searches without retyping and remembering as I go over pages.

Short reply:
This works for me. 1) Use Google Advanced Search, 2) highlight and save [copy "Ctrl-C"]
the box above the 'fill-in' boxes. Example: Firefox "capture searches" save OR store OR list ,
3) save these in any convenient place, 4) past them back into Google.

Detailed reply:
 1) Use Google Advanced Search, 2) highlight and save [copy "Ctrl-C"]
the box above the 'fill-in' boxes. Example: Firefox "capture searches" save OR store OR list ,
[ I use Advanced Clipboard Manager to save clips to numbered (1 to 19) buttons that are
always visible and the contents can be easily viewed.], 3) save these in any convenient place.
[ If I need more than 19 saved clips per session, I save them to a 'form' I made, that I keep on
the desktop, by saved number.], 4) to reuse the search, put the pointer in the Google box for,
"All the words" and paste the selected search there. ACM does this automatically when you
click on the box number, 5) click on "Advanced search".

Re. "...Keep that search somewhere...?:
I save good/old searches to file by date. I save current/useful searches with the Firefox add-on,
"QuoteURLtext" but CAUTION, it only works on Firefox v1.5 to v3. Copy needed ones to ACM
for easiest use.

MrCrispy:
Get the TabHistory addon. I usually do a search and then open the result in a new tab. With this addon each new tab/window preserves the history so you can go back and see what you did.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version