ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Idea: A content management system that lives up to the name

<< < (8/10) > >>

JavaJones:
Hah, I posted to the wrong thread, sorry.  :-[

- Oshyan

jgpaiva:
I inadvertently deleted this last post (misunderstood it, thought it was a wrong post). Sorry about that, it's back now :)

tranglos:
I'd like to address all the points in your opening post about a better CMS, but I have a baby sleeping in my lap and it's a little bit difficult to type.-kwacky1 (October 08, 2009, 06:14 AM)
--- End quote ---
:)

Thanks, kwacky! ModX does look very polished. I don't think I've seen it before. I'll give it a spin on my local machine, because I'm curious.

At the moment though I've invested quite some time (and a little cash) in Joomla, so I'll stick with it for a while, and then maybe replace it with something of my own making.

Besides all the inadequacies I described in my earlier posts, now that my site is live (though incomplete), I'm seeing a lot of overhead. A single-article page loads much slower than the DC forum for example, even though it's much simpler, and altogether the browser is pulling something like 230 kb to display a few paragraphs of text. Some of that is going to be cached, but I just don't like this hypertrophy. If I ever got featured on any of the popular software blogs again, the server could get a proper pounding.

So I decided to have some fun for a change and I'm writing a simple static site generator in php, with templates. Not even using Smarty or anything like that, because even that is much too complex, and I won't understand how Smarty works until I get php first. So I'm writing my own thing, with the (great!) php manual to the side, and I'm much happier now :) I've come from almost zero knowledge of php to one-third done in three days, and that's with constantly checking the syntax and library functions. It's really awfully simple, but it does at least some of the things described in my OP. I'll post the results when it's ready to run my site.

(And for the blog section, I'll just run WordPress. WP back-end is so much more inviting than Joomla's!)

40hz:
A friend just pointed me to this CMS:

CMME means "Content Management Made Easy". It is a web content management system that is easy to use, doesn't have a lot of requirements and allows for reasonable flexibility. Have a look at the user manual if you want to see how it works.

Some key features of CMME:

* Easy installation, small requirements.
    * Page layout using templa­tes and page parts.
    * Markup using cascading style sheets.
    * WYSIWYG page editing.
    * Page(part) inclusion.
    * Syntax highlighting for code parts on pages
    * RSS Feeds.
    * Web Log functionality.
    * Statistics and page visit counters, including charts.
    * Built in backup functionality, using ZIP.
    * Supports Firefox and Internet Explorer. Safari is not yet supported. It will be supported with the next version of xinha.
    * Simple installation.
    * Technical clarity.

This content management system is completely file based. It doesn't need a database to work like most other content management systems.
--- End quote ---

Link: http://cmme.oesterholt.net/

Like the blurb says, it doesn't use a database - which is what piqued my interest. 8)

Not much in the way of details or documentation on the site. Looks like a labor of love. But it looks to be pure PHP. And since I know pretty much 'squat' about that language, it should make for some interesting code reading.

CMME has been developed for technical clarity. It has been developed to do one task and do it with simplicity. It's design is to be extendable, using plugins that are themselves simple (sub)programs. Only the parts of the program that need to be a script are so, the rest is kept cleanly functional and object oriented. This is contrary to the common PHP way of creating scripts that mix HTML with PHP code.
--- End quote ---

I'm crawling through it to get an idea of how you'd put together an app like this. Not being a PHP coder (yet!) it's taking me a while. Like you, I'm sitting with O'Reilly close at hand.

Still, I figure it will ultimately be time well spent. :Thmbsup:

Might be worth a look. :)

rgdot:
Thanx, always on the look out for good and/or alternative CMSs. cmme looks promising and I will try and test it.
I know size should mean little or nothing especially if the features required are there and also that in cmme's case there is an images folder at 1.55MB, but a (non-DB) CMS approaching 10MB in size? Don't flame me but that's huge.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version