ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Good news for any InfoSelect users

<< < (2/7) > >>

40hz:
Minor quibble: What's with that ulgy archaic GUI? It looks like it hasn't been updated since Windows 95 hit the racks.

At $250, an attractive interface should be a given.

SKesselman:
Minor quibble: What's with that ulgy archaic GUI? It looks like it hasn't been updated since Windows 95 hit the racks.

At $250, an attractive interface should be a given.
-40hz (September 21, 2009, 09:12 PM)
--- End quote ---
I don't know. It's one of the things they're working on now. The GUI used to really bother me, too.

It's a trade off, really. The GUI is less than appealing, but the viewing options are indispensable:

For example, I can color code my topics, work with a black background  :D , and display my data in any way that suits me. This makes working with my information much faster & easier than with any other program.

There's also lot more freedom when setting up the menus and toolbars than in most other programs of that kind. You can see only what menu items / icons / commands you want to see, in any order you want to see them, so that's a plus. It feels more natural to work with. For example, I would have never set up Outlook's UI the way it is. It's someone else's idea of an efficient interface & I have to learn it, whether it makes sense to me or not. As a result, it takes me forever to get anything accomplished in Outlook.

I'm not sure if there's any connection here, but back in the old days on Windows 98, before things started sliding and fading and glowing with silky looking gradient toolbars and such, computing seemed to be a lot faster. It's hard to explain, there just always seems to be some kind of ever-so-slight delay with the prettier programs. Everything seems to take a half a second longer - entering text, saving work, making selections in drop-down menus & buttons, everything. InfoSelect is really, really fast, so after a while, the aesthetics became less important to me.

I'm sure it will look better soon, though  ;).

40hz:
I'm not sure if there's any connection here, but back in the old days on Windows 98, before things started sliding and fading and glowing with silky looking gradient toolbars and such, computing seemed to be a lot faster. It's hard to explain, there just always seems to be some kind of ever-so-slight delay with the prettier programs. Everything seems to take a half a second longer - entering text, saving work, making selections in drop-down menus & buttons, everything. InfoSelect is really, really fast, so after a while, the aesthetics became less important to me.

I'm sure it will look better soon, though  ;).
-SKesselman (September 22, 2009, 12:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

You make an excellent point. The more eye-candy you have, the greater the demand on system resources. And the trend does seem to be to make up for it with faster and more expensive graphics hardware.

Personally, I'm partial to "flat" icons and simple well coordinated color schemes so I see what you're saying. But you could avoid a lot of that and still have an attractive interface.

I think the following greyscale skin looks nice without being "blingy", but maybe it's just me! ;D

I guess the point I was trying to make was that attractive interface design, and what you're saying, aren't incompatible goals.

SKesselman:

I think the following greyscale skin looks nice without being "blingy", but maybe it's just me! ;D
 (see attachment in previous post)
-40hz (September 22, 2009, 12:28 AM)
--- End quote ---
;D OK, OK...I suppose an interface like that wouldn't be asking too much.

(As a side note, on the forum, a beta tester said they've added a ribbon similar to the one in Word, and the old-timers are already crying about it, as always, calling InfoSelect ''bloated". Trust me, GUI means *nothing* to these guys  ;D.)

Khalid_FA:
Hello there , I just ran in to this forum and thought would register just to make this comment since I moved to Mac 3 years ago , and still trying to settle for an InfoSel equivalent !! I loved Infosel and still do, I have been using it since 1999 and used MemoryMate in the mid and late eighties , (still have the original 5 1/4 inch disks of MM!)
I proselytized every chance I got about it . When I headed a major IT dept in 2004 ,  with 50 satellite offices , I wrote to Info Sel to come to an arrangement to develop a version with RTL support so it is usable for Arabic. They told me that it would cost me $120,000 plus buying a licence for each user !!!!!! This was really a great disappointment, even a major international IT consultant laughed at their proposal : pay all the development cost and not even get a reasonable number of free user licences. I have kept checking any new release of InfoSel , as they apparently worked in a two years upgraded interval as far as I can tell , but this upgrade is delayed I guess since they were waiting to get  a new version with Windows 7 . A great software but poor customer and business relations ! So thats my InfoSel experience. As far as the Mac the best close contender is DevonThinkPro Office and Eagle filer . But they are not all in one as InfoSel is , but then you can't compare a Windows to Os X .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version