ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaint: BitDefender Internet Security

<< < (3/4) > >>

SectorSeven:
@Joker - funny (and informative) post :)
Thanks for sharing.

40hz:
FWIW, A few years ago, I gave up on all-in-one suites and opted for a mix & match approach.

For external facing machines, I use the following products in tandem.

* Avira Antivirus
* PCTools Threatfire
* Comodo Firewall Pro
(Note: I generally disable all heuristic-based options if the software supports such detection methods. IMHO, these 'features' are far more trouble than they're worth. And there's also significant informed disagreement over the effectiveness of these methodologies.)

To date, this combo has given me very adequate levels of protection with the least amount of aggravation. And the overall performance hit from this combo has been negligible. Each app does its job well, yet still manages to play nicely with the others.

SectorSeven:
@40hz - I am also in favor of letting each tool do what it does best, but then you triple your cost.
Why both ThreatFire and Avira?
I am not very familiar with ThreatFire (not at all familiar would be more accurate) - isnt it another antivirus?

40hz:
@40hz - I am also in favor of letting each tool do what it does best, but then you triple your cost.
Why both ThreatFire and Avira?
I am not very familiar with ThreatFire (not at all familiar would be more accurate) - isnt it another antivirus?
-SectorSeven (September 22, 2009, 12:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

It is, but it isn't, so to speak. ;D

This article can explain it better than I can:

http://pcworld.about.com/od/antivirusandsecurity/PC-Tools-Threatfire-4-5-Free-A.htm

Innuendo:
I'm a little confused about your statements as well, 40hz. Threatfire is a heuristics-based product as it does not use signatures. Why do you use it if you dislike heuristics-based tools?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version