ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

How do you backup your files?

<< < (5/7) > >>

nosh:
just to think that I could loose more than a few days of work makes me shiver... I backup Windows once or twice a month with Acronis, but I Sync my docs and make incremental backups once or twice a day
--- End quote ---

I try out a lot of new software so it really doesn't make sense for me to back up the whole drive very often. After a few weeks I have a pretty good idea of which new utilities & updates/replacements for my existing utilities are needed (most aren't) so I restore a fresh image, install just those utilities & back up immediately, keeping the image 'clean' and free of clutter left behind by discarded programs.

The mp3s, pix, etc are backed up once a day and most docs are backed up online in real time (besides being mirrored daily on a separate HDD). I install all apps on D:\ rather than the default "c:\Program files" - all programs save their data directly to partition E: or onwards. So c: and d: only contain the actual programs and their settings. After compression, the C: and D: images total less than 8GB and I can afford to keep a few old copies (which again get mirrored across drives :) )

I'm testing out Acronis: the "live backup" thingie was just toooo slow, though if it actually works flawlessly it's pretty cool coz I don't really notice it slowing my system down when it runs.
The boot CD works brilliantly. But I'm wondering if this program is superior in any way to PQ Drive Image, other than the live/hot backup feature. DI lets me compress and lets me browse the images and restore individual files from them in Windows. Also with max compression Acronis seemed to be quite a bit slower than DI (I'm not talking about a live backup here, but a regular boot from disk and create image method.)

Armando:
DI lets me compress and lets me browse the images and restore individual files from them in Windows. -nosh (April 25, 2007, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

With Acronis you can do all that, and more.

I don't know about speed.  I used drive image, but didn't seem faster in any way.

Armando:

The mp3s, pix, etc are backed up once a day and most docs are backed up online in real time (besides being mirrored daily on a separate HDD).

-nosh (April 25, 2007, 03:00 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aaaaaahhhhh.  :)

f0dder:
raid1 or none :D

(i'm serious)
-gjehle (April 25, 2007, 02:33 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll have to agree with you... there's a lot of snobs that'll laugh and brag about their RAID5 setups, then go on about how onboard RAID solutions are bad (even for RAID1, although there's no compatibility problems there), and how expensive hardware is superior.

How do you backup your files?
Well, the owner of that RAID5 wasn't very happy when it broke down. The pic is from oct 2003, those drives were expensive then. It broke badly enough that he couldn't just swap a drive, but would've had to buy enough new capacity to do a reconstruct-to-image.

Armando:
What if... You house burns ?  :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version