ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaint: Softwrap (nasty eula)

<< < (4/5) > >>

scancode:
I'm just saying the fact that you disagree with something does not mean the author/eula is "nasty".
-lotusrootstarch (September 21, 2009, 10:33 AM)
--- End quote ---

The EULA is, indeed, nasty. However, I never said the author is nasty.
The fact that they only allow a single reinstall can easily be seen as a plot to get more money from us.
(Hard drives DO break, you know?)
That alone is enough to tag it as nasty imo.

Have a nice day, you too :)

f0dder:
I obviously can't speak for everybody, but...

* I've avoided software and music purchases because of DRM
* Where "necessary" I apply cracks to legally purchased apps/games
* A few of the pieces of apps/games I've registered was done mostly because thy weren't DRM-encumbered
* I paid for a copy of NIN's even though it's available as a gratis download (even in 24bit/96KHz WAVE, which is higher than CD quality!)
I know several people who act the same way as myself. We might not be the majority of users, but I'm in the same camp as app103:I am a firm believer in just enough protection to keep honest people honest. Anyone else is going to be dishonest no matter what you do, and never buy, no matter how well you protect it.-app103 (September 21, 2009, 08:36 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, I was also stupid enough to think "gee, this electronic download offer for Battlefield 2142 is pretty cheap" - but was it worth the insane amount of time I spent getting the thing working, because of it's vile DRM crap? I don't see myself as a computer illiterate, but it took me around two hours to figure everything out. And it's ludicruous to go to those lenghts, especially with a game whose main focus is online play; simply checking a game serial with key servers would be perfectly fine.

40hz:
I don't know what softwrap makes
-lotusrootstarch (September 21, 2009, 10:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

Then perhaps you'd best find out before you weigh in on the discussion, don't you think?

Just a thought. ;)

Innuendo:
I always buy my software, tuck it away in a safe place, and run cracked/hacked versions. When I reinstall my system I don't want the fact of how many system reinstalls I may have done in the past affecting how I may use my purchased software now because, well....it's my purchased software. I'm the only one using it and only using it on one PC so kindly please, software authors and software-protection authors, butt out of my life.

It's a proven fact that a lot of DRM/copy-protection schemes adversely affect the stability of the system it is being run on. It is also a proven fact that often when a protection scheme has been stripped from an app (and especially a game) that mysterious crashes and performance-ruining stutters, etc. just go away.

If I buy my software, the author is being paid so it should not affect them one way or the other if I use a cracked version of their software. The protection scheme author has already been paid by the software author so it doesn't affect them, either as they have already been paid before the software even reached my hands.

It is interesting, however, how quickly a SoftWrap rep was attracted to this thread, though. They must spend a fair bit of time trawling the internet looking for detractors of their product.

Softwrap:
Actually I have a Google Alert send me links when our company name appears online to keep up-to-date contact with users of our software or anyone complaining in order to "better" the experience as you would with a focus group.

It also helps where someone posts a problem they are experiencing instead of emailing our support team for any assistance and we can still offer them support and hopefully leave information on a forum for others to find if they experience the same problem.

So this is nothing to do with publicity or any such thing.

I'm not sure how many other companies are prepared to do the same thing for essentially individuals with a problem but hopefully it will give off the message that we do care about the software consumers enough to ensure that everyone who purchases software with our DRM has a good experience and can get full use of the software they purchased.

Innuendo - I will agree with you when you say that DRM can affect the stability of a secured title because the software is developed without DRM in mind and only post production it is added. Adding any external new code to another product is likely to have some kind of affect. This occasionally happens but in our case this is fixed long before any public release of a title. There are rare occasions where this may still happen to users due to some strange system software or hardware setup but we then do our best to fix the issue for them or refund their purchase so they do not lose money for nothing. We are not trying to steal money from people.

I hope this is informative.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version