ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Complaint: Softwrap (nasty eula)

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
Yeah well, good thing there's 0-day groups who are constantly targeting crap like this. Too bad that you have to go that route to get proper fair use of products you've paid for, but rather that than getting screwed over.

If you really feel you need a draconian DRM scheme, at least allow users for no-questions-asked de+reactivation (as long as within reasonable limits). Of course software developers deserve getting paid for their work, but punishing honest users is not the way to go about it.

Softwrap:
They can re-activate 2 additional times without any questions. This is usually more than enough for those that change to a new PC or reformat their PC.

If they use up those licenses a simple email to support will get them back on track.

Unfortunately we cannot de-activate licenses remotely to free them up as that would require Softwrap to connect and change the user's PC which many would see as some kind of malware. It's  finding the balance which is hardest.

scancode:
If you use up your two additional activations, you can simply email [email protected] with your licensing details and they can re-set it to allow you to activate further times. The control is put on so that users cannot place their license details online for others to activate for free or for them to purchase 1 license and activate the software on any number of PC's in their office.
-Softwrap (September 21, 2009, 07:17 AM)
--- End quote ---
Oh yeah? Where is that, in writing? Your EULA says only one reinstallation, and that's what counts.

Unfortunately there are just too many people who share keys and software illegally and legitimate companies are losing a lot of money which they spend on development and marketing and deserve to earn this back.
--- End quote ---

Ahh, I'd LOVE to believe that. Hello, those who pirate the software wouldn't have bought it in the first place.
Here's an easy guideline: if it's easier to get a pirated copy than it is to legally acquire the product, I (and most people) will pirate it.

Let's imagine Softwrap goes out of business, and activation servers are gone. With a pirated copy, my application would run Just Fine (tm). With a legitimate, "wrapped" copy, I'd be screwed.

Our intentions are not to penalise the honest users and work hard to keep our solution very user friendly.
--- End quote ---
:up: for the attitude,  :down: for the implementation.

BTW, I see that finding [or making, *grin*] "unwrapped" versions of softwrapped applications is quite easy.

Softwrap:
Softwrap have been operating for more than a decade so I would hope that the services would continue. With most DRM companies, if they had to shut down their servers, I would assume and hope that the publishers using the DRM would immediately make available a new version for old customers to download and use so don't see this as a problem. You can do this with digital distribution as the costs are minor.

There are hackers trying to crack all DRM solutions almost everyday so essentially far more work being done to undo it than to ensure it is secure. We just have to do our best to curb the amount of piracy and also ensure the software remains user friendly. Those that pirate software will not get regular free upgrades or software support for those versions. There is also a large amount of pirated software that are also used to spread viruses so I would be a little careful when surfing for illegal software.

app103:
I am a firm believer in just enough protection to keep honest people honest. Anyone else is going to be dishonest no matter what you do, and never buy, no matter how well you protect it.

A simple serial number that unlocks the application from trial to full version is all that is needed. The serial could be 12345 for every copy and be no less protected. When honest people are asked to buy to continue to use, they buy, no matter how little protection the software has, if they like the software they are using.

The strong arm tactics of DRM like yours just annoys honest people and turns them off, causing them to spend their money elsewhere. When companies using strong DRM like yours start selling less software, it's not piracy to blame, it's the DRM driving their customers away. Making the DRM even stronger doesn't bring them back. It just drives even more away. And you know this!

Of course I don't expect you to admit that, especially on a public forum. It would be crazy to think that you would give away the truth when your entire business model is built on selling developers a great big lie and trapping them into a vicious circle of ever increasing DRM leading to more loss of sales which you blame on piracy in order to sell them stronger DRM which causes them to lose more sales (lather, rinse, repeat). Revealing the truth would put you out of business.

People willing to pay for software do not pirate software, unless or until something forces them to. DRM doesn't make them willing to pay. Liking the software and feeling it's a good value makes them want to pay. They would rather use freeware, open source, or software with less DRM than pirate anything, when faced with the choice. The ones that do resort to pirating something are pushed into it. Your abusive and intrusive DRM turns some honest people into "criminals", ones that would never have thought to pirate anything before.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version