ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

dell laptop, vista won't activate

<< < (8/9) > >>

Innuendo:
Never hurts to ask. Worst they can do is say no & I have seen companies in the past issue upgrades to customers who couldn't get the current release to work. If his BIOS allows activation of an OEM Win 7 copy like he says then his machine can't be that old.

40hz:
Never hurts to ask. Worst they can do is say no ...
-Innuendo (September 24, 2009, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---

@Innuendo - Oh I'm not knocking it. You're absolutely right.  It's even happened for me*. :Thmbsup:

Just never with Dell. :-\

---

* In the past, IBM, Microsoft, Gigabyte Technology, and Compaq (prior to the 'merge' with HP) were particularly good at dealing with customer satisfaction issues that way.

Innuendo:
I can't fault Dell. I'm typing on a Dell right now. I even got a free set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 speakers from them. If they can send out a set of $150 speakers to make me happy I'm sure sending out some media isn't out of reach.

Shades:
This link to Raymond's blog will explain how to backup and restore Vista OEM activation license.

nite_monkey:
Never hurts to ask. Worst they can do is say no & I have seen companies in the past issue upgrades to customers who couldn't get the current release to work. If his BIOS allows activation of an OEM Win 7 copy like he says then his machine can't be that old.
-Innuendo (September 24, 2009, 04:15 PM)
--- End quote ---
my laptop is only a couple of months old. I'm not 100% sure that it will activate an oem 7. The bios upgrade just said it would, but since it won't activate vista, I don't know if it would work with 7... though I don't know jack about oem activation.

On a side note, I installed vista with a plain old vista oem disk that my brother got from his work's action pack (but used the key on my laptop, not the key from the action pack). It wouldn't activate over the internet, but after calling MS twice, I got it activated over the phone. (the first time I called, the guy said something about not being able to help me at the time and to call back in 15 min. But I called back right after hanging up, and got vista activated with no problems... other than barely being able to understand his accent)
So that I don't have to go through all this mess again, I made an image of my drive with acronis after it was all set up and activated.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version