ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

dell laptop, vista won't activate

<< < (5/9) > >>

Hirudin:
The key on the computer will work with any (real) Vista disc though wont it? If nite_monkey can get ahold of a new disc he/she should be able to use the key to install Vista on the computer and successfully activate it, right?

[/topic]
I think Microsoft made a wise decision making all the Vista discs the same, this way people have extras (I have something like 5). This makes it easier for people to get "real", unadulterated install media. Back when a friend of mine was using Windows 2000 I... I mean he ended up downloading a Windows 2000 image from the net - an image that could conceivably have had viruses and stuff on it.
[topic]

nite_monkey:
The key on the computer will work with any (real) Vista disc though wont it? If nite_monkey can get ahold of a new disc he should be able to use the key to install Vista on the computer and successfully activate it, right?
-Hirudin (September 19, 2009, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

Yes, that is possible. My friend has a dell desktop that came with xp media center, and he has problems with loosing things, so he couldn't find his recovery media. Luckily my brother works at a repair shop that has the microsoft action pack (whatever it is called) so he had a regular copy of the media center that we used with the dell key on my friend's computer.

On a side note, I contacted dell and got them to send me new cds for my laptop (at least I think I did, I used the online request form and got an email from dell). So as soon as the new disks arrive, I will see if this new vista disk will work, or if I will just have to stick with xp.

Carol Haynes:
The key on the computer will work with any (real) Vista disc though wont it? If nite_monkey can get ahold of a new disc he/she should be able to use the key to install Vista on the computer and successfully activate it, right?
-Hirudin (September 19, 2009, 04:46 PM)
--- End quote ---

That's what we have been talking about. It may be regional but certainly here in the UK the registration code on the outside of the computer won't activate windows - they are blacklisted numbers that are only provided toprove you have genuine windows. If you have an OEM edition preinstalled it uses a different installation technique that avoids activation all together which is linked to the BIOS and the manufacturer. You should not therefore need to have any code to reinstall if the manufacturer provides a method to reinstall your system.

Most manufacturer simply provide image of the system as supplied and it is up to you to make a backup copy when you buy the computer. IME most users never get around to this and have problems later. If I supply computers to people I set them up for them and do the backup my self and explain why it is important to keep those discs safe.

40hz:
If I supply computers to people I set them up for them and do the backup my self and explain why it is important to keep those discs safe.
-Carol Haynes (September 20, 2009, 04:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Well done! :Thmbsup:

Like you, we've tried spelling out to our clients how important it is not to lose media. But "this is America" over here, so our words often fall on deaf ears. But being firm believers in the notion of redemption (and that a burned hand teaches best), we've since come up with a practice that semi-solves the problem, and garners us a deal of goodwill.

On a new or reinstalled system, we make and archive a full image backup before delivering the machine. If our client loses the media, we'll do a basic recovery (one per client) for free. After that, we charge our regular service rates.

Wherever possible, we keep also track of as many "details" as possible (i.e. serial numbers, activation keys, purchase dates, configuration settings, registration information, etc.). This gets done automatically for anything we sell, install, or repair. We keep this information in a secure database for retrieval as needed.

It doesn't cost us much (other than disk space) to do any of this this. It's been a lifesaver for our clients on several occasions. And that gets translated into customer satisfaction and loyalty.

Just a thought. :)

8)

Hirudin:
But in my experience the code WILL ALWAYS work, so long as you use an actual Windows DVD with the same service pack as the code. Maybe it is indeed a regional thing.

Easy solution: get a real Vista disc, use your code to activate. Yes, it will take two additional minutes.
Complicated solution: get new crappy discs from your computer manufacturer. Hope that you can avoid the activation process.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version