ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

AccellMan and More now Free

<< < (4/4)

Innuendo:
Seems to have the potential to steal the first place as the most bloated, unintuitive file manager, right before Directory Opus (which will never be my favorite one, it is powerful but....).-Tuxman (October 17, 2009, 06:14 PM)
--- End quote ---

Directory Opus has always struck me as being the equivalent of sticking the user in the cockpit of a 767 airplane that's heading straight on a collision course with a mountaintop and giving the user a 4,000 page user manual & saying, "Welp, you got this...I'll leave you alone now."

That's an exaggeration, of course, but sometimes one does get that feeling when trying to figure out the intricacies of DOpus configuration. Master those intricacies and you have access to some real power. My only real beef with the program is its pricing structure, though.

It's true that it has some quirks and a few bugs but it also has many half-hidden wonders.
Just wish it were still being developed...-joiwind (October 18, 2009, 06:29 AM)
--- End quote ---

It was an innovator in its day. AccelMan had numerous features before they were in any other file manager. I think the author either got bored with the project or he finally hit a wall where he was running into problems that were beyond his programming abilities.

Tuxman:
My only real beef with the program is its pricing structure, though.-Innuendo (October 18, 2009, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
A lifetime license wouldn't solve the problems either, would it?

he finally hit a wall where he was running into problems that were beyond his programming abilities.-Innuendo (October 18, 2009, 12:13 PM)
--- End quote ---
Now this is one of the reasons I haven't developed my own file manager yet...  ;D

Innuendo:
A lifetime license wouldn't solve the problems either, would it?-Tuxman (October 18, 2009, 12:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

Hmm...that's a good question. Just checking the DOpus site on pricing...man, they nickel and dime you to death....license for 1 PC is AUD$85...want to be able to use DOpus on a second PC that's AUD$35 more...Advanced FTP capabilities is another AUD$10 per license...USB/U3 support is yet another AUD$10 per license....

Holy crap! At those prices the angels better descend from the very heavens and write blessed code on purified PCs...and wait till you see the generous 'discount' they give on upgrades. Better bend over, Bucky.

I guess if that AUD$85 was a lifetime license with no restrictions on how many of your PCs you could install it on while including the Advanced FTP & USB/U3 options I might be able to stomach that. It's still very expensive, but you'd get a lot of functionality for your money.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version