ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How should I diagnose this hardware issue?

<< < (2/5) > >>

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
Might not hurt to clean said components (just their contacts) with a pencil eraser when reseating them.
-Stoic Joker (September 14, 2009, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Never heard of that, but will add to my: ToDos

mouser:
it definitely pays to move the memory sticks around -- as memory issues can cause that kind of behavior from what i've seen.
it could also be an overheating issue.

both are hard to diagnose, but Carol's suggestions are all good, and may help you pinpoint the specific hardware causing the problem.  these kinds of unpredictable gremlins can be the most frustrating to try to solve.

4wd:
Might not hurt to clean said components (just their contacts) with a pencil eraser when reseating them.
-Stoic Joker (September 14, 2009, 05:57 PM)
--- End quote ---
Never heard of that, but will add to my: ToDos-jammo (September 14, 2009, 07:27 PM)
--- End quote ---

I wouldn't do that, some pencil erasers leave a residue which can then cause problems.

If you must clean them physically, use a clean lint free cloth and some isopropyl alcohol.  Otherwise, unplugging/plugging them in a couple of times will more than clean the contacts sufficiently.

Of course, take all necessary ESD precautions before starting all this.

Jammo the OrganizedFellow:
AY AY 4wd :)

I've always got a lint-free cloth nearby for my smudgy glasses  8)

a_lunatic:
Another good system test you can try if Memtest86+ doesn't find anything is Prime95 torture test here is a little guide http://www.playtool.com/pages/prime95/prime95.html

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version