ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Will Win7 last as long as XP?

<< < (2/11) > >>

Kamel:
a) no, i'm fine with vista actually
b) no, not applicable
c) absolutely not. no job right now, it will literally be a miracle if i even make the rent

TheQwerty:
a) My netbook is already running the RC.  If I can find the time between when I get my copies and the end of the year both it and my desktop will be upgraded.

b) I don't think it would be wise for Microsoft to let 7 stand as long as XP did (I'd say at most 4-5 years).  Nor do I think Apple, Google, and Ubuntu (or other distros) will afford them the chance.

c) I pre-ordered an upgrade copy of Home and Ultimate, but I also enrolled in one of the Launch Events where attendees supposedly get a free copy, so one of those pre-orders may be canceled.

Darwin:
a) No - I cancelled my pre-order upgrade. Vista is rock solid and I like it.
b) I hope so, unless Microshaft decide to shift toward Apple's OS more enlightened upgrade/new release pricing scheme - ALL versions of a new OS X release are the same price, including upgrades, on a single DVD. I haven't checked on Snow Leopard, but at one point Leopard was $99 here (Canada) and that was for a DVD that contained the full version, not just an upgrade.
c) Don't see myself buying a new computer anytime soon... but who knows!

Caveat: If I start reading accounts from shocked and awed Win 7 adopters (ie those who have upgraded to it on existing hardware) that rave about the tremendous performance boosts that they're seeing on relatively recent Vista machines, I might be regretting cancelling my pre-order. However, I suspect that there will be some decent sales on upgrades around Christmas time, so I'm not too worried!

Stoic Joker:
Well... Both of the machines I primarily use (here/home = x64 & work = x86) were upgraded from Vista to 7 about a month ago. While both are running noticeably crisper in the UI response department, I can't really say it's an earth shattering improvement. However the 32bit work machine having only 2GB of RAM does seem to show the most dramatic improvement as it's much less prone to lagging when I start a 2nd VM.

40hz:
a) Yes. Fortunately, I have the luxury of running multiple machines so I don't have to abandon XP. For Win7, I'll do what I always do with a new OS. Win7 will get it's own machine with two separate installations on swappable hard drives - one to use on a day to day basis, and one to screw around with and break.

I've just downloaded Windows 7 and Server 2008 via MAPS (see note below). I should have both up and running by the end of next week.

b) If it works reasonably well (like XP) it will be around until Microsoft finally pries it from our cold dead hard drives. (Just like XP! ;D)

c) Ideally, it gets purchased with a new machine, but it ultimately comes down to economics: full OEM copies for new builds, and upgrades for everything else.

------------

Note: if you are professionally involved with any of this and have your own business, you may be eligible to join the Microsoft Partner Program. Doesn't take much to get accepted. Basically you need to fill out an application; take an online course and pass a not very difficult test every so often; and have some proof you actually have a bona fide tech business. In most cases that means furnishing a copy of a business tax permit or similar document.

Once you're registered as a partner, you become eligible to purchase something called a Microsoft Action Pack Subscription - or MAPS for short. A MAPS subscription provides copies of a goodly number of Microsoft products for internal use in your business. Cost for a subscription is approximately $300 (US) annually.

Most of the Server products are there along with desktop OSs, Visio, MSProject, and the most recent version of Office. Some of the products (Win7 and Office) allow for up to 10 copies to be installed.

Subscribers can download these products from dedicated servers Microsoft has set up just for MAPS. You may also elect to get delivery via hard media for an additional fee if bandwidth is a problem.

All in all it's a pretty good deal and well worth looking into if you're "in the business" as the saying goes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version