ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Will Win7 last as long as XP?

<< < (10/11) > >>

f0dder:
Innuendo: well, I block flash and java. Of course there is the risk of a whitelisted sited being hacked... but to be really dangerous, it would need to combine 0-day exploits in {firefox, flash, java} (pick one) and UAC, and it would be on a whitelisted site and something that passes through AdBlock. Could happen, but for now (and I might one day regret this) I personally prefer not bogging my system down with AV software. Even the relatively light NOD32 causes a noticeable speed hit for me.

Josh:
How about we fork firewall/av requirements off to a separate thread?

f0dder:
How about we fork firewall/av requirements off to a separate thread?
-Josh (September 14, 2009, 01:46 PM)
--- End quote ---
Sounds like a good idea to me, it's cluttering the thread a bit but is still a useful discussion.

zridling:
My Windows experience is admittedly second-hand these days: I setup and maintain the wife's business machine that runs Windows. And if your choice is between Vista and Win7 -- and you're staying with Microsoft -- take the Win7 every time.*

*Otherwise, I'll suggest you try something like openSUSE or Linux Mint.

iphigenie:
After my last serious attempt to switch to the open source world, the lack of apps that work smart (apart for a few glorious text-based ones - but my gripes with FOSS desktop are a things for another thread) and get out of the way clearly shows me I'm probably staying on the windows train for a bit

So it would make sense to update to a family pack of some sort when there is a good deal

(I am trying to be thrifty, no income at the moment while I find my next reinvention)

My problem:

1. So far windows 7 does not work properly on my main desktop, it's a problem between motherboard and graphics card that gives garbled graphics (not usable, you are guessing where buttons would be). I could try other graphics card or change the motherboard, but of course that makes it a bigger job... or wait and hope it gets better. (I updated the bios to all versions and alas no improvements, and i lost the fan speed management somewhere along the way)

2. I use a lot of shareware, some of it is not updated often or an old version. Not sure it all will work ok on Windows 7 unless I get the Pro version, if I understand it correctly. Due to my graphics issue I havent been able to test that  :(

3. Not sure about this but I'd want to have ALL my main OS on my machines on the same, rather than some still on XP some on 7 (ofc for the usual "fix someone's problem" i have several OSes on multi boot - a win98 and a 2000 somewhere too, but havent looked at them in ages)

All in all I am tempted to wait and upgrade a bit later, but getting knowledge of it is also important...

In short? undecided

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version