ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Will Win7 last as long as XP?

<< < (3/11) > >>

CleverCat:
It's been said to wait for first service pack before upgrading? :-\

Carol Haynes:
-CleverCat (September 13, 2009, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure that applies to Windows 7 - think of it more of a major service pack on Vista with some new features.

Running Pro version on 3 computers and the only issues I have had so far are:

* one piece of software that wouldn't install (the software didn't recognise the OS) - but it did install when I told the installer to install it in XP compat mode (not XP VM) - and it works fine.
* a couple of drivers are missing because vendors are not releasing official drivers until Win7 official release date. I have installed Vista drivers where necessary and not noticed any problems at all.

jgpaiva:
(a) Yep, did it last week.
(b) From what I've tried, it looks rock solid. Looks like there has been major worry with user interface and generaly making stuff simpler (while I think in Vista they didn't have that objective, some stuff got more complicated than on XP).
(c) Full version, win7 x64 Pro via msdnaa subscription.

I'm not using it as my main OS, so I guess I still need to play with it a bit more. (that's also why I upgraded so fast - I had no important data on the previous windows installation).

My experience is:
I really like the new interface. So much so that I installed a similar taskbar in linux. The update on window management (for maximize/restore) is a huge step forward (linux has done that since a while, it's good to be able to also use it in windows).
I think that programs that run on the tray (steam, winamp and live messenger come to mind) sort of break the interface, since the tray icons are hidden. There may be a way to have them showing, though.
As for drivers, the driver site for my laptop was down, but I installed the nvidia drivers from nvidia site installed with no problems.

CleverCat:
-CleverCat (September 13, 2009, 02:11 AM)
--- End quote ---

Not sure that applies to Windows 7 - think of it more of a major service pack on Vista with some new features.

Running Pro version on 3 computers and the only issues I have had so far are:

* one piece of software that wouldn't install (the software didn't recognise the OS) - but it did install when I told the installer to install it in XP compat mode (not XP VM) - and it works fine.
* a couple of drivers are missing because vendors are not releasing official drivers until Win7 official release date. I have installed Vista drivers where necessary and not noticed any problems at all.-Carol Haynes (September 13, 2009, 04:37 AM)
--- End quote ---

I'm still on XP....

Carol Haynes:
I think that programs that run on the tray (steam, winamp and live messenger come to mind) sort of break the interface, since the tray icons are hidden. There may be a way to have them showing, though.
-jgpaiva (September 13, 2009, 05:44 AM)
--- End quote ---

Just right click on the taskbar and in Properties you can customise the tray icons to show what you want.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version