ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Will Win7 last as long as XP?

(1/11) > >>

zridling:
By all accounts, Windows 7 is going to be worth having, but I have a few questions.

(a) Are you planning on upgrading to Win7 before year's end?
(b) Will it last as long as XP, or will Microsoft kill it in time for another upgrade in two years?
(c) Are you planning to buy an upgrade version, full version, or just buy it with a new computer?

Josh:
(a): Yes, as soon as newegg ships my copy
(b): I predict Windows 7 will probably last for a good amount of time, 3-4 years, before we see the next release (or at least a release date).
(c): I pre-ordered an upgrade copy, will be purchasing a full copy through my school, and will probably get it with my next PC.

Lashiec:
a) Hope so. I plan to install it during Christmas, so it's either the last days of 2009 or the first ones of 2010.

b) That's something only Microsoft knows. While it's evident they won't release Windows 8 in two or three years as a solution to the problem that Windows 7 doesn't seem to be, whether they decide to carry on with the idea of shorter development cycles or not it's up to them.

c) Getting a full version through MSDNAA. And if some day I decide to get a portable computer, I'll have to decide if I get it with Windows 7 or opt to install some Linux distro (because, you know, Macs are a bit pricey :P)

housetier:
a) No
b) neither, it will last for 6 years
c) neither

Stoic Joker:
a) I already upgraded a month ago (MSDN Subscription)
b) I think that will depend on how well it captivates (and holds) the markets attention.
c) See a. ;)

The new interface enhancements make it incredibly easy to re-find your place when you get side-tracked while multi-tasking. Like when you're in the middle of 12 different things and get called away from your desk by a user that needs to be rescued from some personal computing tragedy (which generally means arriving in person and pointing at the button you'd told them about on the phone). /BOFH Mode

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version