ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

The unspoken truth about managing geeks

<< < (3/6) > >>

Perry Mowbray:
What kind of feedback can you provide in an interview scenario Perry? I thought the suggestion was a bit much because I couldn't think of any helpful advice IT could offer HR (other than "This person has no idea about IT, don't hire them!!" of course :P). I'd be interested to know what IT can offer in that context.
-Ehtyar (September 12, 2009, 04:02 PM)
--- End quote ---

Our panels consider technical merit and organisational fit, and rarely say "don't hire them", more just ranks them below the hire cut off  ;)

I thought that the article was directly talking about hiring managers of IT depts at that stage?

Ehtyar:
Oh, I got the impress that they meant have IT present for hiring of all roles (hence my wanton dismissal), but now I can't find the part so I suppose the point is moot. Still, what company would not have IT present for the hiring of a colleague?

Ehtyar.

Perry Mowbray:
True: I have not re-read the article, but he did make the distinction between Companies with an IT focus and all others.

Our panels are only 3, so IT would really only sit on IT roles; but if it had a strong IT function then there would be a strong case of having our 3rd "independent" as an IT person.

But I don't think we do it at all well: still very hit and miss. My role is very IT based (though not technically in IT) and there was no IT representation on my panel. Maybe a good thing?  :-[

Stoic Joker:
Crap... Sorry Perry wrong button ... I meant to quote Eythar's post above yours. This one:
Oh, I got the impress that they meant have IT present for hiring of all roles (hence my wanton dismissal), but now I can't find the part so I suppose the point is moot. Still, what company would not have IT present for the hiring of a colleague?

Ehtyar.
--- End quote ---

-Perry Mowbray (September 13, 2009, 01:02 AM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately quite a few where I come from. Granted that could be a side effect of the hick-town nature of where I live but... *Shrug*

I watched too many interviews go down the drain because some HR drone had no idea what I or my resume was talking about. So they ignored me, skimmed my resume for "Key Words" they thought they needed but were clue-less of what equivalent experience was.

One of the worst examples I can think of was a company that was looking for an MCSE, but required no field experience...on a 200 machine network. At the time I was MCSA & had 5 years of field experience yet they wouldn't even consider an interview. Let alone put me in touch with someone there that might actually know what all those letters meant.

The company I'm with now runs everything IT through IT. The HR folk get to weed out the drunks, junkies, & ex McDonald's employees ... and then pass the (much smaller) stack to IT to decided if the skill sets match closely enough. I've sat in on several interviews & played 20 questions with candidates to gauge how much (if any) of there history has been (Um...) "embelished"... The end result is that we have very little (almost no) turn over staff wise.

skwire:
Excuse me young man!! I'd like to issue a formal complaint!! You may direct me to your manager thank you.-Ehtyar (September 12, 2009, 11:21 PM)
--- End quote ---

<changes voice to a deeper one> This is the manager.  How may I help you?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version