ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > Living Room

How to Lucid Dream -- Nice wikiHow page

<< < (2/5) > >>

f0dder:
When I ask myself that question while dreaming, I usually wake up :(

JennyB:
I once got shot in a dream and went down, thinking I was going to die. Then I realized I was dreaming, wasn't actually hurt, got up and finished robbing bank. It's never happened again.

Dreams (reality) = good.
Lucid dreams (alternate reality) = awesome!
-zridling (September 10, 2009, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

So long as you don't start thinking reality works like that!  ;)

I've been able to dream lucidly since I was very young, and remember being bitterly disappointed when I discovered the limits of their "reality".  There is a fine line between being aware of that sort of weirdness (otherwise you fall into normal dreaming) and letting it happen without questioning it too much (otherwise you wake up). For example, I start to levitate in a dream, and I realise that I can't "actually" be doing that, because no one else is taking a blind bit of notice. But I think of the dream world as a coherent and objective whole, so I begin to wonder if they can tell me what I'm "actually" doing. Of course, since it is my own brain that is both confabulating the dream and trying to make sense of it, I have yet to get a satisfactory answer!

40hz:
Never worked for me BTW. :(
-Edvard (September 10, 2009, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been experimenting with hypnogogic and lucid dream states since I learned about them in college.

One of the most effective 'lucid' techniques is to simply tell yourself (at bedtime) to look for your hands, and then to try to raise them, if you realize you are dreaming. No need to repeat it to yourself all day. Supposedly, trying to force it on your subconsciousness only makes it more difficult. FWIW, this technique worked for me and several friends who also tried it. Takes a bit of practice to get it to work reliably however.

I once got shot in a dream and went down, thinking I was going to die. Then I realized I was dreaming, wasn't actually hurt, got up and finished robbing bank. It's never happened again.
-zridling (September 10, 2009, 09:19 AM)
--- End quote ---

One of the weirdest lucid dreaming experiences was recounted by the fantasy author Neil Gaiman. He spoke of having a lucid dream where he was very saddened to learn that a close friend of his had died after a long illness. Neil said he couldn't begin to express how relieved he was to wake up and realize it was only a dream - only to awaken a second time "for real" and remember that his friend had actually died after all.

Lao Tsu would have felt right at home with that one.

Paul Keith:
i read the cognitivedaily blog regularly -- you'll see it linked above after the word "from.."  ;)

(my academic background is artificial intelligence and neuroscience)
-mouser (September 09, 2009, 08:51 PM)
--- End quote ---

Nice! and thanks for the link.

Would you or anyone else share your views of dream interpretation?

Ironically enough, I just had a lucid dream. (I rarely recall my dreams so this was highly coincidental)

Currently looking for an interpretation

@40hz

Thanks for sharing the idea. Going to consider it next time I'm dreaming.

I fail all the time at these "How to lucid dream" articles that I usually don't bother with them. One thing I noticed though is that I can much more easily lucid dream when I don't care for it at all.

It's like the more I think lucid dreaming when I go to sleep, the more I'm disappointed that I either don't dream or get too busy thinking that idea that I don't realize I'm dreaming.

However, when I don't think of it at all, I tend to get to control of that rare dream where it's often about me making some kind of a choice. (In a twisted way, it's like my dreams are lulling me into a lucid dream.)

That said, I never lucid dreamed until I read some of these lucid dreaming articles.

Edvard:
Never worked for me BTW. :(
-Edvard (September 10, 2009, 10:28 AM)
--- End quote ---

I've been experimenting with hypnogogic and lucid dream states since I learned about them in college.
-40hz (September 10, 2009, 12:47 PM)
--- End quote ---

Aw jeez, hypnogogic is old hat.
A little sleep deprivation, a long drive, a decaf mocha and I'm THERE, baby!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version