ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Graphic Design question: Services and prices?

<< < (4/10) > >>

superboyac:
So here are some of my old sketches from high school, hopefully I can improve on my abilities. The scan is pretty bad, especially after resizing, so they look worse than they actually are.  But you can get an idea.
Graphic Design question:  Services and prices?

40hz:
Most people don't know that Lewis Carroll did the original illustrations for Alice.

Carroll and his publishers thought his books needed the touch of a professional illustrator, so Sir John Tenniel was hired to do the work for the published book.

Interestingly enough, both illustrations are equally valid in my mind. I think I slightly prefer Carroll's original. Carroll's Alice has more depth of personality to my eyes. Tenniel's is more technically accomplished. But his Alice is interchangeable with almost any other 'young girl' illustration from the Victorian period. It's only time that's taught us to see her as a uniquely recognizable book character.

And many others have taken a crack at Carroll's world. (If you write it, they will draw."  ;D) Some of the interpretations are quite valid as far as I'm concerned. Take a look at all the Alice 'riffs' here:

http://www.lewiscarroll.org/graph.html#Other

So the point I'm trying to make is that it isn't the degree of technique you bring to the illustrations that's the key.

It's the integrity of your story line - and the authenticity of the related art - that makes it work.

You have your story. And it looks to me like you've got enough artistic talent to roll your own illustrations.

If I were you, I'd go for it. :Thmbsup:

<EDIT: Was typing a little too fast. Minor changes for clarification made in green above. Sorry!>

superboyac:
Thanks 40hz, those are very encouraging words.  I didn't realize that about Alice in Wonderland. 

I just received a voice mail from my friend a few minutes ago, and he had never seen my drawings.  He said a light went on for him and I just have to do these drawings.  It will make the project make so much more sense and just give us so much more freedom, in addition to allowing us to better create the personality we want to express through the words and art.  Like you said, even if it's technically not great, at least I can capture the mood exactly the way I'm thinking.

superboyac:
So, I've officially embarked on this project.  It would be an understatement to say how overwhelmed I am right now.  But it's a good kind of stress.  I've been reading a lot of tutorials and watching some youtube videos.  most of them are not that helpful, but I've found a couple of gems.  I swear, some of these people are uncanny.  I saw someone start with a blank page, smear some skin color on the page, and in the end it looked like it was taken by a professional photographer.  They talk about how to do eyelashes and all the little things.  Just crazy.  I have to be careful to stay within my bounds.

superboyac:
I've spent the last month pouring over all kinds of tutorials about drawing, shading, photoshop, and illustrator.  I've decided on a method that uses Illustrator as a sketchpad.  I borrowed a wacom tablet from one of our graphics guys at my job, to see if it will work for me.  Instead of color, the illustrations will be in black and white.  I've always loved the look of black and white sketches.  it also makes it easier on me so I don't have to learn coloring techniques.  Gustave Dore's work was a great inspiration, and the guy is incredible.  Check it out:

So, here is my first try at drawing in this style.  I did several attempts all weekend and this was the best one in my opinion:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version