ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

Graphic Design question: Services and prices?

<< < (6/10) > >>

superboyac:
The other issue I have with all these photoshop plugins and techniques is that you have to have something already for the plugin to do its trick.  I may find existing things here and there, but I'm going to have to create most of it myself.  I would be very lucky if I found pictures or existing drawings of muscular guys in the exact right pose and all the scenery, etc.  I have things that are close, but I will use them for references mostly.

40hz:
There's a certain touch to the drawing I did that I really like, and the same goes for Dore's.  Even though his illustrations are technically done the same way as the plugin...because he did it by hand, it has a certain touch to it.
-superboyac (October 20, 2009, 10:54 AM)
--- End quote ---

Wow! That comment is pure  music to my ears. And is that ever something I'd wish more people could see! Because if they did, they'd grasp the fundamental difference between "art" - and what's merely artsy.

So much of what passes for creativity these days is far too often nothing more than someone being clever.

Clever you can buy. Creativity, however, is gold coin.

Stay on the course you're on and I'm sure the finished work will be spectacular. :Thmbsup:

-----

BTW: this is my 2000th post! I wonder how many work hours that represents?

superboyac:
Congratulations on your 2000th post!  if you're ever in the LA area, I'll buy you a lunch.

I was just talking to my friend, and he suggested that maybe the photoshop plugin can save time with stuff like backgrounds.  Mountains, forests, all those backdrops.  because I will have a hard enough time with all the characters, so that could be a huge time saver.

40hz:
if you're ever in the LA area, I'll buy you a lunch.
-superboyac (October 20, 2009, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

I'll be happy to do the same for you if you're ever in New England.  :) :Thmbsup:

I was just talking to my friend, and he suggested that maybe the photoshop plugin can save time with stuff like backgrounds.  Mountains, forests, all those backdrops.  because I will have a hard enough time with all the characters, so that could be a huge time saver.
-superboyac (October 20, 2009, 12:11 PM)
--- End quote ---

Not a bad idea. Disney used a similar technique when they did the animation for Snow White using separate layers for background, middle ground, objects, and characters. (They also developed a special camera  - dubbed the 'multiplane' camera - that allowed them to move as well as focus on each of the (up to 7!) layers independently. This produced an almost 3-D visual effect - but that's a topic that merits its own discussion!)

I know you're not doing a graphic novel, but there's a really good book I picked up a few weeks ago that has some excellent tutorials that might help with what you're doing. It's called The DC Comics Guide to Digitally Drawing Comics by Freddie Williams II (ISBN: 978-0-8230-9923-8). This book is very well written, and has concepts that go well beyond just creating comic books.

There's sections on stetting up your digital workflow; creating library objects (buildings, backgrounds, etc.) from photos and sketches; layering techniques; wireframe creation and use; hybrid digital-traditional art approaches, etc. This is one of those rare rock-solid & hardcore 'how-to' books. Minimal theory and philosophizing. But packed with a lot of hands-on specifics. Especially good is the section on using a scanner in conjunction with penciled images. It's geared mostly towards Photoshop,  (like what isn't, right?) but you can easily extrapolate his techniques to work with other products.

Well worth looking at next time you're in Borders or Barnes & Nobel. (And at $22.99 list, it's a steal! :up:)

8)

superboyac:
So much of what passes for creativity these days is far too often nothing more than someone being clever.

Clever you can buy. Creativity, however, is gold coin.

Stay on the course you're on and I'm sure the finished work will be spectacular. :Thmbsup
-40hz (October 20, 2009, 11:47 AM)
--- End quote ---
Thanks for those words.  That's exactly what we are going for.  Even though I'm looking for shortcuts to disguise my lack of skill at this point, I do want the work to have a certain sense of true soul to it.  Along the way, I will become more proficient, maybe not to a professional level, but hopefully good enough to communicate my intentions.  And like my music and any artisitic endeavor, the popular thing to talk about is the technical skill involved and in the process, storytelling is overlooked.  But storytelling is the key, it always will be.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version