ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternative to filehamster?

<< < (13/25) > >>

f0dder:
Hm, automated git committing?

Doesn't sound like a super good idea to me. Either it has to simply watch for changes, and commit when that happens - which could check in files that are only partially updated. Otherwise, you need integration with the specific tools used, which you likely won't be able to get everywhere you want. And even that probably won't work out too well if you have the habit of saving often (I hit ctrl+s pretty much after every sentence when editing text).

cmpm:
another possible....

Oops!Backup

http://www.altaro.com/

40hz:
Hm, automated git committing?

Doesn't sound like a super good idea to me.
-f0dder (March 08, 2010, 01:43 AM)
--- End quote ---

I was thinking more along the lines of an enterprise document editing and collaboration where you'd want private or semi-private document automatic versioning, but still have the provision for a more structured check in/out and commit cycle for more formal documents.

An example would be for something like a creative team who is responsible for AV scripts. Each writer has a set of assignments that he or she would like to keep versions of during the initial development phase. They would appreciate automatic version tracking. But once the script went into production, subsequent revisions and changes would require formal review from someone other than the writer before that revision got approved. So at this phase, it would be necessary to manually commit the changed script version. And so it would go as additional revisions were requested and approved.

I could see a combination system being quite useful for formal corporate communications and PR work; large creative team projects; or in the preparation of legal contracts.

But I agree that it's probably a not a good idea for computer code.

f0dder:
Something like that could very well be useful, but I see that as a relatively specialized application, rather than automatically monitoring for changes and automatically committing?

For document authoring, a system with GIT integration could actually be pretty cool - but I'd still want the commits (and pushes) to be controlled rather than automated.

kartal:
I think that an automated versioning can be great if the author is working in a certain branch with Git. For example a master branch would not be auto committed, but a branch named for example  autocommit can have auto watch feature and  would be interesting because there might be times when the author might want to try many different things in short amount of time ( without wanting branching) until a satisfactory result is achieved, then the branch could be merged into the head easily.

Branching is a great feature of common revision control apps. Most standard file  versioning-backup applications do not have any kind of branching as far as I know, including Filehamster, which is not a negative thing at all. But branching is very interesting and useful concept.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version