ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternative to filehamster?

<< < (12/25) > >>

tomos:
@Carol

They do respond everything well except the Gui issues. I have never seen any real improvement to the gui all those years. Everything else has been well and steadily improved to certain degree.

Tomos`s remarks also support my dissatisfaction of the Gui issues. It looks like I was not alone in the complainer`s camp
-kartal (March 06, 2010, 12:01 PM)
--- End quote ---

I intend to post about it in their forums, but as I say I've been concentrating on Report window problems (and requests) - when I do post re GUI I'll mention it here (the more people that ask for it, the more chance of a change...)

40hz:
My main problem with many back up and versioning apss is the network support. Many of those apps work alright in the local machine but they seem to drop watching once in if the watch folders happen to be on a network drive or folder.
--- End quote ---

This FAQ may explain why it isn't supported on TrackMyFiles:

Can I track folders on shared network drive?

Currently iternum TrackMyFiles does not support tracking of network drives. The main reason is that it is currently not possible to resolve possible conflicts that might arise when more than one user attempts to track a network share or when user make concurrent modifications to a shared file or folder.
--- End quote ---

I can't really see an effective way to get around the issue since the alternative would be to constantly invoke a shadow copy every time a document got saved. Probably wouldn't be that big a deal if it were only one person doing it to their own folders. But the minute you go up on a network you almost have to assume there will be multiple users and shared folders.

Most "time machine" type apps get around the multi-user problem by doing snapshots via the ShadowCopy mechanism. Others use some variant of a filebase/incremental 'delta' backup.  Genie Timeline by GenieSoft is a good example of a 'continuous' backup product that does the filebase/incremental thing. But it still works off a timer. And that's not the same as what FileHamster does since FH's doing version tracking based on changes to the file rather than at timed intervals.

I guess that's one fundamental difference between backup and version control systems: how the "commit to archive" operation gets invoked. Time = backup. File change = version control.

:)

tomos:
@Carol

They do respond everything well except the Gui issues. I have never seen any real improvement to the gui all those years. Everything else has been well and steadily improved to certain degree.

Tomos`s remarks also support my dissatisfaction of the Gui issues. It looks like I was not alone in the complainer`s camp
--- End quote ---

I intend to post about it in their forums, but as I say I've been concentrating on Report window problems (and requests) - when I do post re GUI I'll mention it here (the more people that ask for it, the more chance of a change...)
-tomos (March 06, 2010, 12:23 PM)
--- End quote ---

New thread in FileHamster Feature Requests forum requesting Ease of Use, GUI, UI, Improvements
Please comment/contribute  :Thmbsup:

kartal:
Tomos thanks for the post. I will try to follow up.

40hz, do you know any versioning that supports manual and automated committing? Something like git+auto watch(for file versioning for now). So for certain projects or folders I can do manual, for some others I can do automated? I know it sounds against the idea o Git since it is designed mainly for maintaining code base. I have tried tortoise svn in the past for manual stuff. it almost worked well but lack of automated watch makes it hard for certain projects. At the moment I use Git for my small code stuff. I need file evrsioning for non-code multimedia projects.

40hz:
40hz, do you know any versioning that supports manual and automated committing?
-kartal (March 07, 2010, 06:03 PM)
--- End quote ---

Unfortunately, no I don't. But that sounds like a really great combination. Basically you have two categories in the version archive. One category automatically "versions" on save. The other category alerts on changes, but doesn't commit a "version save" unless explicitly told to do so.

Almost like a combination of smart sync and version control. Hmmm...

Might make a nice project for one of DC's community of coders to take a crack at.

(Hint?  ;) )

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version