ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternative to filehamster?

<< < (3/25) > >>

mwb1100:
I now have my own tiered backup scheme, using SFFS, DOpus, Powerpro and batch files. If you don't need a "tiered" system (I believe FH doesn't have one)...-mwang (September 08, 2009, 11:31 AM)
--- End quote ---

FH does support a 'tiered' set of revisions (not sure if it's in the free version, though).  They call it "DynamicRevisionHistory" and it's buried in the options for a 'watch'.  It seems to be on by default (but maybe I set mine - all I know is that it's on right now for me), and "keeps all revisions from the previous 24 hours then only keeps the latest revision for each previous day, each week, month and finally year."

mwang:
FH does support a 'tiered' set of revisions (not sure if it's in the free version, though).
-mwb1100 (September 08, 2009, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

Interesting. I'll have to take another look at FH, then. Thanks.

Carol Haynes:
You could have a look at AutoSave Essentials. I used to use AutoSave 2 but development seemed rather slow (there have been no new updates in at least 2 years to AutoSave 2) and I moved to FileHamster. Not sure what the difference is between AutoSave 2 and Essentials but it seemed to do what it said on the tin (which includes file versioning backups).

tomos:
FH does support a 'tiered' set of revisions (not sure if it's in the free version, though).  They call it "DynamicRevisionHistory" and it's buried in the options for a 'watch'.  It seems to be on by default
-mwb1100 (September 08, 2009, 12:04 PM)
--- End quote ---

yes, it's on by default in paid version - even for backups already setup - I cant believe it - it's newish I think,
that's the last thing I want  :tellme:
I've posted in FH forums asking for more info but the help file says:

Dynamic Revision History when set to True will clean your revisions for you based on what day they were made on. This will help to keep your library from being overfilled with a large amount of old revisions.

First day - All revisions will be kept.
Next day and each day for one week - One revision per day for the week
Next week - One revision per week for the same month
Next month - One revision per month up to the end of the first year
Next year - One revision per year
--- End quote ---

f0dder:
Oh, is Genie Timeline available now? I looked a couple of weeks ago, and at least I couldn't find a download link back then. Would love to play around with it.

It's not like what apple's doing with Time Machine is that new or unique, by the way - it's been possible to do with rsync + scripting for quite a while. Apple just pretty-GUI'ed it :). Afaik Time Machine does a full file backup whenever a file is changed, Timeline has an advantage there since it does block level backups and thus captures only the changed parts...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version