ATTENTION: You are viewing a page formatted for mobile devices; to view the full web page, click HERE.

Main Area and Open Discussion > General Software Discussion

alternative to filehamster?

<< < (18/25) > >>

MerleOne:
Thanks for sharing that.
Do you remember why you chose File Hamster over AJC? was it because of the file format?
-Armando (June 19, 2011, 09:49 PM)
--- End quote ---

BTW, I recently learned that AJC internal format is actually zip...

40hz:
t was a php file, edited in normal text editor.  the settings were set to keep infinite revisions, and make new revisions every 5 seconds.
-mouser (July 07, 2011, 09:00 AM)
--- End quote ---

I can't help wondering if that 5 second revision setting is the cause of the problem - assuming all the other files you're monitoring are imaging correctly.

I guessing, since I'm not privy to the internal details of how FH works. But if there is some internal housekeeping requirement FH needs to complete as part of its process - that 5 second window may be too tight for it to complete what it needs to do. If that's the case, you'd go into an endless loop of starting the process, not having enough time to complete it, but then hit the scheduled interval when you need to begin the process all over again.

If you bumped the interval to something like a minute does the problem still happen?

The reason I mention it is because I recently ran into something similar with a server backup script where the system didn't have enough time to "shadow & stage" the files, and calculate the backup, before it was due to start the next backup. End result was that nothing was being backed up since it was effectively being told to drop the backup it was doing and start doing another one every time it ran.

Just out if curiosity: what's so critical that it needs to be checked every 5 seconds? Are you one of the people who's responsible for the strategic nuclear launch codes or something?   ;D

8)

tomos:
^ I missed that backup every 5 seconds first time around -
I thought the way it worked was to back up when you saved a file. I mean I know it works this way by default but maybe there are other settings...

urlwolf:
Hmm, since I started the thread :) I should report too.
Actually, since I started using wuala, I never felt the need for things such as filehamster. Wuala does this type of backup on all the folder I sync there. Nice side effect :)

mouser:
I thought the way it worked was to back up when you saved a file
--- End quote ---

yeah i think the 5 second thing isnt how frequently it's checked -- i don't think it makes much of a difference.

FileHamster just seems a bit buggy -- i've also had it crash and hang quite a bit on me. :(

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version